Pro Wrestling Only

The Monday Night Raw thread

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Gotta give Michaels credit, he works the crowd better than anyone in the WWE right now. Hmm... maybe some guys should work on that.

Now this is a good idea. They should have introduced Simon Dean with Maven in the first place.

Dean highfiving Trish was great.

I dunno if you guys are getting this Trish stratus promo during the ad break, but DEAR GOD they should NEVER EVER EVER air it again. At least, not without a brown paper bag with eye holes over her head.

Does HHH give this promo every time? Why doesn't he just whip it out and start beatin on it.

HOW LONG IS THIS PROMO?!

Here's what they need to do:

Have Batista destroy everyone. Kane, the lumberjacks, the ref, the timekeeper, etc.

Because he needs to respond to what HHH just did, and if he doesn't, he looks like a total punk.

Guest Dazed

First two matches were a complete waste of time. It's pointless showing matches (especially longer (by Raw standards) ones) when not only is the winner, but the finish pretty much guaranteed.

I do like how they're mostly keeping Angle and Michaels apart, the build-up is seeming a lot more old school, with their achievments and motivations shown, no matter how silly feuding over something 9 years ago is. Compare it to HHH / Batista, which has gone from subtlety to generic as hell - I know which match I'd be more interested in. It would have owned if the Rockers' music had hit at the end though, and "Janetty" comes out to celebrate, but it's Kurt in wig and shades.

HHH's promo killed the show for me. He's ridiculously self serving, and that just fucking dragged on and on and on and on and on and on, and then on some more. That *needed* Batista to come out and just watch him at the end, emotionlessly watching HHH finish and then leave the ring and go backstage, staring him out. Batista absolutely *must* get his own back on HHH tonight to avoid looking a bitch.

I've given up on the show at this point. I assume the tag match will be like every other Raw match - meaningless moves mixed in with Signature Spots, and then a finisher from nowhere to end things. And they can throw as many stipulations as they like on Kane / Dave, the only one I'd be interested in is a "match lasts for 3 rounds of 3 seconds each". Even that would be too long for Batista.

First two matches were a complete waste of time.  It's pointless showing matches (especially longer (by Raw standards) ones) when not only is the winner, but the finish pretty much guaranteed.

I do like how they're mostly keeping Angle and Michaels apart, the build-up is seeming a lot more old school, with their achievments and motivations shown, no matter how silly feuding over something 9 years ago is.  Compare it to HHH / Batista, which has gone from subtlety to generic as hell - I know which match I'd be more interested in.  It would have owned if the Rockers' music had hit at the end though, and "Janetty" comes out to celebrate, but it's Kurt in wig and shades.

HHH's promo killed the show for me.  He's ridiculously self serving, and that just fucking dragged on and on and on and on and on and on, and then on some more.  That *needed* Batista to come out and just watch him at the end, emotionlessly watching HHH finish and then leave the ring and go backstage, staring him out.  Batista absolutely *must* get his own back on HHH tonight to avoid looking a bitch.

I've given up on the show at this point.  I assume the tag match will be like every other Raw match - meaningless moves mixed in with Signature Spots, and then a finisher from nowhere to end things.  And they can throw as many stipulations as they like on Kane / Dave, the only one I'd be interested in is a "match lasts for 3 rounds of 3 seconds each".  Even that would be too long for Batista.

Wow, that was pretty much well everything I was thinking. This show seems is inspired with being uninspired. Nothing really happening across the board, just looking to remind everyone what the angles are. Michaels/Conway was uneventful, and I was wondering if they would have Angle run to justify such a pointless match, but he didn't.

They ruined HHH/Batista by ignoring what made everyone cheer Batista. No one wants to see Batista "be the best", they want Batista to shut HHH up. As shown tonight, he clearly hasn't been able to. That's what Batista should have done tonight. Just when you think we're going to get the standard HHH promo (which we ended up getting), Batista ends up cutting him off. Batista is supposed to represent the fans' frustration with HHH continually being on top, so why isn't he doing anything?

The tag match had some nice, fun, spots. But was basically useless. They're trying to make all the contenders in the ladder matches out to be losers, even if it is to each other. Why aren't these guys building up wins, rather than trading losses?

WHAT A FANTASTIC RESPONSE BY BATISTA! He was FIRED UP. It was GREAT! That's what he needed to do, ADD COMEDY TO IT!!!!!!!! YES YES YES! FAAAAAAAAAAANTASTIC. HHH cuts a 20 minute promo detailing how he will put down Batista and Batista responds with USED CAR SALESMAN.

Randy Orton, COMPLETELY IGNORED HHH burying him. Tremendous.

Guest Dazed

Insomnia kicked in, and I figured the second hour of Raw would be the perfect cure.

Having Benoit / Tomko tonight... wow, I can think of plenty of things wrong with that, and they all detail fundamental problems with WWE's booking.

1) Tomko sucks. He's been given plenty of chances, and he's fine just being a "problem solver" (although I don't recall him solving any, really), but when he's in the ring, he sucks. WWE should have higher standards than that.

2) Benoit was beaten up with a ladder less than 30 minutes ago. 20 years ago, he'd have been out for anything up to six months with a beating like that. 30 minutes later, he should not be walking out for a match. This is a total by-product of the Attitude era, and MNWs, and something that needs to be sorted out. Have things mean something (that's a thread idea there - "is there anything in wrestling that is actually meaningful any more?")

3) There was no hype for it! Nobody mentioned the match, so why should we care? All we get is a come back from one of the far too frequent commercial breaks, and Tomko is in the ring. No announcement from Ross as to who his opponent is, in fact the first we know is when Benoit's music hits.

4) I didn't watch the match, so no comment there.

Totally echoing Rudo's comments on Batista's promo. Also, did anyone laugh when they saw the bunch of jobbers used as lumberjacks? Brilliant. Also, pathetic.

Orton's booking is so inconsistent up until the RKO that it's impossible to get into the story. I'm assuming that until tonight, they weren't sure whether to book him as a heel or face going into Mania, and so decided to book him as both. At the same time. Like, you've got him arrogantly saying, "with all due respect" to the Undertaker, then kissing Stacey. Presumably that was to build up to the RKO, but we're not stupid, we've seen them hanging out and everything before, it was kind of assumed that they were going out, although apparantly this is their first kiss (including off-screen, from Orton's wording of things) - what the hell have they been doing for the last 2 months?! Him not mentioning HHH at all is dreadful, and it's laughable that HHH isn't on the Legend Killer Tour shirt - not because Orton has beaten him properly, but exactly the opposite. Taker's name can easily be wiped off of it now, too.

Not been watching since Benoit came out - and it's terrible that WWE can make it so that Benoit's entrance music is a cue for me to turn off the TV.

I like the fact that they're planning to add members to Evolution, but not if the new members are going to be chosen from that sorry bunch of jobbers who were lumberjacks.

Speaking of, anyone else scream a little when Flair was giving his speech about how being in Evolution means all the money and broads you want while Hassan was standing right in front of him and his whole gimmick is how that stuff is what makes America evil? I mean shit, that's just plain lazy.

Also, if Batista's reign is a disappointment, WWE needs to look no further than HHH's promo tonight. I don't care if he's pounding Stephie's anus, you can't have someone come out and take a giant shit on your company while burying or ignoring everyone on the show. That promo encapsulated every problem facing WWE: when you don't portray challengers as threats, no one will take them seriously.