Pro Wrestling Only

[1950-11-03-Kohler Chicago] Gorgeous George vs Hans Schnabel

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Gorgeous George fights Hans Schnabel in a two out of three falls match. George comes out to "Pomp & Circumstance" wearing his fancy pink robe and feathers. The kids in the front row clamor for the pins that he throws out to the crowd. He gets lots of booing when he is announced. He riles up the crowd by stalling in taking off his robe.

The match starts off slow with several lockups getting broken by the ropes. George is quite effective at stalling. Schnabel is able to reverse George's hammerlock into a headscissors. After some hair pulling, George goes back to the hammerlock and comes down with a knee to the back. George does a nice looking wristlock, which Schnabel counters by pulling George's hair. He does a knee lift, which gets a big bump out of George. George works a reversed chinlock, which turns into smothering the mouth and nose. George doesn't seem to be in the same league as Thesz or Rogers on the mat. Schnabel finally starts some of his harder strikes to the chest, which he also did well in his tag match in the archive. George wins the fall after two flying mares.

Schnabel gets more aggressive in the second fall, stomping and kicking George. George is able to take him down and work the leg, cheating by using the ropes for leverage. They brawl some, but then Schnabel suplexes George. This is first suplex that I've seen in these Chicago matches. Schnabel gets the pin.

In the third fall, Schnabel takes it to George with punches, knees, and a knee drop. He puts him into a slam position, running him into the turnbuckle and then a body slam. He kicks him out of the ring to the floor. The hotheaded Schnabel shoves the counting referee to get to George and gets disqualified. George then brings a chair into the ring, but the referee is able to get it away from him.

This match got better as it went on. With his hard hitting, I've liked Schnabel in both matches that I've seen him in. I prefer Buddy Rogers to Gorgeous George so far in a comparison of the famous heels. George didn't work the holds with the vigor or variations that Rogers does. George certainly works his character well through his mannerisms and stalling.

• Loss changed the title to [1950-11-03-Kohler Chicago] Gorgeous George vs Hans Schnabel