Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-16-CMLL] Corazon de Leon & Ultimo Dragon vs Negro Casas & El Dandy

PeteF3

One of the better tags i've ever seen, lucha or otherwise. Heavy mat work based match which I love since that's my favorite kind of lucha these days and there were some awesome exchanges here. They were pretty strict about pairing off in each fall so you didn't get a lot of interaction between teams in this but that's more of a minor anoyance. It's a staple of a lot of lucha matches I know but with them going almost 40 mins here it was a bit more noticable. Casas/Ultimo continued their great rivalry and Dandy/Ultimo looked every bit as good as Casas/Ultimo. Jericho/Dandy was the least of the pairings as that saw Jericho mostly on top. He was still really early into his career at this point and really comes across like a boy among men in comparison. Not to say it was bad either, I actually thought that in a diffrent setting it would probably be something that would garner a lot of praise it's just that everything else around it was so much better that the Dandy/Jericho just came across as being noticably weaker. Casas/Jericho saw Casas take the lead and was a huge step up, another great example of why Casas is one of the best ever. Fans throw money into the ring post match and it was well earned. Really surprised to see this wasn't on the set. Curious to know if it was a case of just not knowing about it, not having room (with intros and post match and other stuff it takes up about 45-50 mins) or just not thinking it was that good?

• 11 months later...

I wouldn't have been one of the people throwing money here. The Youtube description of the match called this a four-way match, and I think I would have liked it better if it had been. As a straight tag, this was subpar; there was no continuity between the teams whatsoever, and only a token few doubleteam spots (one of which, the double dropkick from the top by Jericho and Dragon, was my favorite spot of the match). I can't blame it on the style either, because I've seen plenty of lucha tags with more teamwork than this.

More importantly, this bout only reaches second gear a handful of times. Dragon and Dandy do a hot nearfall sequence at the beginning of the third fall, and that's the match's high point. The rest of the time this is nothing more than an exhibition of nice mat wrestling that would have been just as effective as a collection of singles matches. Add that to the ridiculous way falls are done (do all falls have to be sweeps?) and while I can't say that the match was a snoozer, I can say that it was a disappointment, especially since I've seen much better performances from all four guys.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-16-CMLL] Corazon de Leon & Ultimo Dragon vs Negro Casas & El Dandy