Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-06-14-NJPW-Explosion Tour] Shinya Hashimoto & Michiyoshi Ohara vs Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa

PeteF3

The Tenryu/Ishikawa v Hashimoto/Ohara tag from the 6/14 New Japan show is a match I thought was genuinely tremendous when I watched it earlier this year (meant to mention it in this thread, but clearly forgot as I'm wont to). It's handheld, so I'm not sure if there's a TV version out there, but I thought it was one of the best sub-15 minute matches I'd ever seen on first watch. It's everything you love about the WAR/NJ feud. Buckets of hate and heat and violence and Tenryu/Ishikawa are just a pair of grade-A assholes to Ohara. I know Ditch has this, because that's where/who I got it from.

• 11 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-06-14-NJPW-Explosion Tour] Shinya Hashimoto & Michiyoshi Ohara vs Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa
  • 9 months later...

I think this comfortably smokes the 4/2/93 WAR tag, which is honestly pretty dull before Choshu gets posted. Hell of a gutsy performance from Ohara as he absorbs an unreal amount of punishment but keeps firing back. Plenty of highlights packed into a relatively short time frame, including Ishikawa contemptuously stomping Ohara after a double clothesline, Hashimoto breaking up a pin and trying to drag Ohara to his corner only for Tenryu to drag him right back, and the monster match-ending chokeslam. There are a couple of blatant restholds, but that's the only real problem with this match.