Pro Wrestling Only

Steven Wright

RyanClingman

I would love to see more of Steven Wright, as his match with Tiger Mask in 1980s NJPW stands as one of my favourite matches from that time period that I have seen. Sayama was, however, so tremendous during that era that it becomes very difficult at times to ascertain how good someone was simply by watching them work Sayama. Are there any Wright comps floating about somewhere, or is there anyone here who has seen enough of his career to say whether that kind of thing is worth seeking out?

Personally, I find him overrated. His rep was that he was difficult to work with. According to Regal, he'd eat guys alive and give them absolutely nothing. Apparently, a lot of guys were afraid to wrestle him. That may have made him a badass, but it's not conducive to quality matches. His best match is his '86 bout against Marty Jones, who was also a bit of a prick. He also has some interesting stuff from the early 70s where he's doing a Wonder Boy gimmick similar to early Alex Wright. I'm not a big fan of his brother Bernie, either.

Personally, I find him overrated. His rep was that he was difficult to work with. According to Regal, he'd eat guys alive and give them absolutely nothing. Apparently, a lot of guys were afraid to wrestle him. That may have made him a badass, but it's not conducive to quality matches. His best match is his '86 bout against Marty Jones, who was also a bit of a prick. He also has some interesting stuff from the early 70s where he's doing a Wonder Boy gimmick similar to early Alex Wright. I'm not a big fan of his brother Bernie, either.

I guess I'll track down some World of Sport comps to go through some of his other work. The Tiger Mask match has some uncooperative elements, but I guess for whatever reason it turned into anything but a mess.

I remember Alex Wright mentioning that his dad taught him some catch techniques so he would be able to hold his own in NJPW. I'm still curious about what exactly he did there given that Steve is all about cartwheels and stuff. I like Steve as a worker though. He helps out at Alex's wrestling school these days, wonder if he could do catch wrestling seminars ala Billy Robinson?