Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-08-10-WCW-Hog Wild] Rey Misterio Jr vs Ultimo Dragon

Superstar Sleeze

WCW Cruiserweight Champion Rey Misterio Jr. vs Ultimo Dragon - WCW Hog Wild 1996

I loved the Misterio/Dragon matches when I got the Rey set, but they just have not aged well for me personally. Dragon was just stalling and being generally awkward through this match. I just don't think he was suited for the American environment. Whereas in his third PPV match, Rey already showed how much he got by inciting USA chants. He understood the flow and psychology of American wrestling better than pretty much an cruiserweight they brought at this time. Their opening sequence is just the worst of the New Japan juniors as it is totally perfunctory. Once we get the Dragon kicks, the match kicks it up. It is sort of a mini-World War III match between the two as Dragon unleashes his badass offense here, but the problem is how he strings things together. There is no sense that he is trying to win, rather he is trying to impress. I am at least glad he put Rey in the figure-4 so we get some great Rey verbal selling. There were also a couple botches and miscommunications like the surfboard spot and at one point we kinda just stare at each other while Rey is on the apron and Dragon is inside the ring. Once Rey starts to make his comeback, the match really picks up. Rey hits a great springboard dropkick to hit the mutha of all springboard splashes as he goes from the top rope to the dirt floor, which had to be a good twenty feet down. It is was fucking crazy. Then not to be outdone, Dragon hits a monster crossbody from the ring to the mats, but Rey was standing and he just fucking squashed. Those two spots actually elevate this to must watch because they are both insane. Again, the finish run is filled with Dragon doing his shit (Suplexes and Moonsaults), but not making covers. Dragon goes from another running Ligerbomb, but this time Rey wrangles a hurricanrana to win the match. The World War III match is a better introduction to what Dragon could do as he looked clueless for a lack of a better term, but I think if they mashed these two matches together then they could have had a great match. Watch for the two dives! ***

• GSR changed the title to [1996-08-10-WCW-Hog Wild] Rey Misterio Jr vs Ultimo Dragon