Pro Wrestling Only

Squared Circle Gazette Radio #39 - The Monday Night War in 1996 (Part 2)

After a one week break, SCG Radio is back as we return to our History of the Monday Night War Timeline, complete with notes from the Wrestling Observer Newsletters of the era.

This week the panel covers from July through to the end of September, talking the heel turn of Hulk Hogan, the early days of the nWo, Shawn Michaels' struggles as WWF champion, great angles and promos, fake Razors and Diesels, as well as a look at a lot of numbers that tell the story blow by blow. A great show this week, check it out and as always, let me know what you think!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/2axgr8/SCGRadio39-TheMondayNightWarin1996-Part2.mp3

You guys do a great job with this topic every time out. I had no idea that Davey was supposed to get Show's spot in the NWO. That could have been a major career boost for Show if it had turned out that way. Also, I had to pop in my Horsemen disc two and watch that promo on Nitro. Great, great stuff from Arn and Flair. Stuff like that makes you wonder how great the NWO angle could have been if the inmates hadn't been running the asylum and Bischoff had any kind of respect for/idea of what Flair meant to the WCW fans. he got so caught up in "his idea" that he tossed aside anything already existing that might work within it, something that is frighteningly similar to how Vince operates when faced with things that he didn't make himself.

Thanks very much dude, glad you enjoy it. Got the next instalment coming up this week as well.

That's actually a really interesting way to look at Bischoff, I never thought of that before. Since he was in charge public perception was he basically failed to build anything of his own, took stars made in the WWF and featured them, and it had to bother him that people saw him as just taking ready made stuff and recycling it. Then he finally creates an angle that gets over huge that is exclusively his, and he was obsessed with shoving it down everybody's throat.

Agreed Ric and Arn were silently very good this quarter and between them did some really strong promos. Arn's pre-War Games speech after the fake Sting angle especially is a favourite of mine.