Pro Wrestling Only

BOTSJ Night 1

shoe

This is the line up tonight that will be airing live. Their are some matches that look pretty interesting.

Jushin Liger vs. Yohei Komatsu

Alex Shelley vs. David Finlay III

Cavernario Barbaro vs Chase Owens

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe & Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata & Tomoaki Honma vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba & Yoshi-Hashi

Rocky Romero vs. Bobby Fish

Trent Baretta vs. Kyle O'Reilly

Mascara Dorada vs. Kushida

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Gedo

Cavernario had a good first showing. Hit the top rope splash to the floor of course. Owens had his moments. The little bit of mat work they did was good, I liked Owens' tope, and the slingshot backbreaker of his is a good move. Other than that though, Owens wasn't very good. Cavernario spent the majority of the match selling which sort of worked since he was over, but Owens just doesn't have the quality offense to control for that long.

Nakamura/Yoshi-Hashi/Yano/Ishii/Sakuraba vs Goto/Shibata/Tanahashi/Honma/Makabe

We get the Lucha pairings to start, Honma gets worked over on the floor. We get a Honma FIP sequence, then the lucha pairings continued. Overall this was pretty fun and built to Dominion.

I thought Mascara Dorada/KUSHIDA was the best match of the night. In general, I don't mind matches going short (much rather that than have them go several minutes too long) but this was one match that definitely could have used a few more minutes. They went less than 10, but everything they did was well thought out and was carried out smoothly. Very fun match with a lot of cools little spots stuffed into a sub-10 minute match.

Main event was fun since Gedo controlled most of it. Crowd was really hot for the finish and reacted big time when Gedo got the win. I'm thinking Gedo wins tomorrow versus Komatsu (though it wouldn't be shocking if Komatsu got his first big win there) but then losses out the rest of the way.

Pretty good show. The reDRgaon/RPG matches were longer than they needed to be, particularly given that the KUSHIDA/Dorada match could have used a couple of extra minutes.

I missed most of the first half of the show.

Thought the 10 man tag was really good, just lots of hot sequences. Honma is great as a FIP because the Kokeshi works as both as a great hope spot and the transition to the hot tag.

Fish/Romero felt like a total nothing match. Just couldn't get into anything they did. It's odd that with the whole MMA gimmick reDragon have they don't really seem to work like that outside of a few select spots.

O'Reilly/Barretta was enjoyable enough, but O'Reilly hamming it up big time was pretty annoying.

Agreed that KUSHIDA/Dorada could've used more time. KUSHIDA has to be the smartest young worker they have - he was great setting up Dorada's offense, including the least ridiculous looking set up to the corner rope walk dropkick I've seen. I thought Dorada was pretty good selling the arm, which was a bit surprising since extended limb psychology isn't too much of a thing in lucha from what I've seen.

Gedo looked like one of the best workers in the company in his match. Funny that he was nothing special during his prime and has found himself as this almost southern heel style worker that gets huge babyface reactions. Loved the Terry Funk punches and his working of holds. Taguchi was a perfectly fine warm body, but I hope the VOW guys are wrong about him being the one to make it out of his block - he's just so vanilla despite his comedy offense. I thought it was between this and KUSHIDA/Dorada for MOTN.

Was amused by the mention of Wild Pegasus on commentary, I guess in Japan they don't care about that stuff.

This is the line up tonight that will be airing live. Their are some matches that look pretty interesting.

Jushin Liger vs. Yohei Komatsu

Alex Shelley vs. David Finlay III

Cavernario Barbaro vs Chase Owens

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe & Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata & Tomoaki Honma vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba & Yoshi-Hashi

Rocky Romero vs. Bobby Fish

Trent Baretta vs. Kyle O'Reilly

Mascara Dorada vs. Kushida

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Gedo

The ten man was lots of fun. I love multi-man tags and this ticked all my boxes for an enjoyable match.

I thought this was a fun show. I liked the 10 man the most, followed by Dorada/Kushida. O'Reilly/Barretta was really good too, but was hurt a lot in my eyes by O'Reilly's goofy selling, and that convoluted sell job with the chair to set up a spot. Liger/Komatsu was real good too. Those were the stand out matches. The drawback to the show was it felt rushed.

Only had a chance to watch the first three matches, but I loved Liger vs Komatsu. Great story of historic veteran on the downswing vs youngster realizing the monumental opportunity presented to him, trying to pull off a shocking win and gain immediate momentum on day 1.

Loved Komatsu attacking before the bell but the match gradually turning into Liger being the frustrated grouchy old man. I'm a sucker for wild outside brawling and the early portions of this had some really unexpected moves around the arena.

Not very familiar with Komatsu, but incredibly interested to see more of him as he progresses. Great selling and has a real chip on his shoulder. Could be an outstanding cocky heel in a few years time.