Pro Wrestling Only

Rick Rude vs Jake Roberts

Judy Bagwell

I thought the win with only a finisher from MSG was decent.

Rude in 88 was still very green. Oddly though in 89 a year later he's having MUCH better matches with the Warrior IMO. So I don't know if I would chalk it up to Jake's laziness or not liking the angle but there you go.

I recently watched the angle that kickstarted the feud and that was fucking tremendous. If Rude is considered green in 1988 then he is one of the slowest learners of pro wrestling.

Personally, I think Jake is a bit overrated. I finally found some Jake matches I liked in the form of the Steamboat matches. Like you mention Rude had a great matches with Warrior.

My thinking is Jake and Rude are both low energy wrestlers however when paired with people can supply movement & energy ala Steamer & Warrior you seem their match quality go through the roof.

I was going to check out some Jake & Rude stuff, but getting sluggish on 80s WWF and think it is time for a change sooner, rather than later.

Hope this helps!

If Rude is considered green in 1988 then he is one of the slowest learners of pro wrestling.

My thinking is Jake and Rude are both low energy wrestlers however when paired with people can supply movement & energy ala Steamer & Warrior you seem their match quality go through the roof.

For what it's worth, I thought Rude's match with Steamboat at Rumble '88 was very possibly the single worst match I've ever seen the Dragon participate in. Literally half of it was one long rest hold.

If Rude is considered green in 1988 then he is one of the slowest learners of pro wrestling.

For what it's worth, I thought Rude's match with Steamboat at Rumble '88 was very possibly the single worst match I've ever seen the Dragon participate in. Literally half of it was one long rest hold.

Thank you for letting me know that as I will now be skipping that match.

By the same token, they absolutely rocked in 1992 in WCW.

Now, I was being a bit of a smart ass with my green comment. Basically, Rude had been wrestling since at least 1984 in Memphis so 4 years and still chock it up to being green seemed funny to me. Yes, it definitely seems that clicked pretty late for the Ravishing One.

I hear you Marty, but I still see Rude as somewhat green in 88, he just doesn't look polished the way he does a short year later. Who did he work with between Jake and Warrior anyway? Checking that it seems to be Hillbilly, Tito and Beefcake mostly. But he didn't work MUCH between Series 88 and WM V oddly.

I think Sleaze hit it on the head, both guys brought out the worst in each other as they have weaknesses that mesh badly.

I hear you Marty, but I still see Rude as somewhat green in 88, he just doesn't look polished the way he does a short year later. Who did he work with between Jake and Warrior anyway? Checking that it seems to be Hillbilly, Tito and Beefcake mostly. But he didn't work MUCH between Series 88 and WM V oddly.

I think Sleaze hit it on the head, both guys brought out the worst in each other as they have weaknesses that mesh badly.

I've heard the theory that once Hennig came in Rude saw the need to step up his game, since those two went way back. It's all just a theory based on zero fact from what I've seen, but it wouldn't shock me if there was some truth to it.