Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-08-29-WWE-Raw] Sheamus vs Cesaro

Superstar Sleeze

Sheamus vs Cesaro - RAW 8/29/16

Tenacious start. These two are always hard hitting feels like something you would see from the Carolinas in the 80s or All Japan in 80s/90s. There was something about the beginning of this match just upped the intensity. You really felt like this match mattered to both of them unlike so many matches that come off like exhibitions. Sheamus' arm selling was golden. I thought he was doing the heel feigning the injury spot, but then Cesaro went to town on it and it was awesome. Coming back from the break, I thought the offense just built so well. These are the two of the three best offensive wrestlers on the roster (AJ being number three) and you could see how each one of their cool highspots was earned not given. Then that BUMP! Wow! Inventive. Painful. Looked like a match ender. It was treated like a match ender. It was sold like a match ender. Hats off to Cesaro for selling that so big. In so many matches now you would see something like that and then it becomes watered down by three more kickouts and fighting spirit. What I loved was this badass bump led directly to the logical finish (Cloverleaf, which Sheamus had attempted earlier) and it was a quick tapout. Perfect finish! Cesaro got a bad break. Sheamus pounced and won. Loved it! Sold so well.

Hard hitting slugfest, but what puts this over the top is the incredible selling by both men, the intensity and energy and inventive finish that was sold like death. RAW match of the year by a country mile and one of the best WWE matches of the year. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2016-08-29-WWE-Raw] Sheamus vs Cesaro