Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-04-23-NJPW] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinya Makabe

GOTNW

You can see modern New Japan style in this. It's in their strike exchange that consists of striking more and more instead of stopping and selling a blow, it's in the way Tanahashi milks his arm injury, it's in the count-out tease and it's in it the finish that consists of them trading big moves and, specifically, how they do it (lots of counters and pop-ups). I did enjoy the match-the beginning had a lot of matwork that way tighter than you see these days with a much wider array of holds, I mean it's understandable after years of work guys get lazy but it's much more interesting to see them work armdrags, kneebars, headscissors etc. than just grab a hold until it's time for dancing. After that you get a small portion of the match that is workrate-y and my stuff-your stuff, though I must note I like Tanahashi laying in Dropkicks and hitting Single Underhook Suplexes a lot more than a million jump around moves. Also Makabe quickly kicking out of the suplexes was smart as when they transitioend to The match really becomes interesting when Makabe counters Tanahashi with a neat Standing Double Wristlock he transitions into a Fujiwara Armbar. They build heat here-and Makabe does a good looking "Hogan knocks Inoki off the apron with a Lariat" tribute spot to tie that into the ring out tease. The finish was exciting as by this time they weren't limitated by formulas and much of it felt novel. ***

• GSR changed the title to [2003-04-23-NJPW] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinya Makabe