Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-03-21-CWA] G1 (Tony Givens & Robby Cassidy & Moe Jenkins & Wayne Adkins) vs The First Family (Brian Logan & Beau James) & The VSS (Alyx Winters & Chase Owens)

Phil Schneider

I thought this was totally awesome, CWA is the most recent iteration of Kingsport TN indy wrestling which is a tradition which goes back decades. I loved the opening section of this with Robbie Cassidy bumping around and busting open Chase Owens. Cassidy was fucking great in this, classic southern punches, big cage bumps, an awesome top rope fist drop, I had watched bits and pieces of Kingsport indies before (Tony Givens used to send me DVD's) , but this match made me want to search out more Robby Cassidy. James and Logan are a classic fat guy southern heel team, lots of great looking punches and cheap shots, sort of next generation Dirty Rhodes and Don Bass. This built nicely to a pretty crazy ending, with the faces locked in the cage another heel group comes out and menaces an injured member of G1 doing commentary, Winters does a nutty plancha off the cage onto the floor to break it up, and then there is a wild brawl on the floor and in the ring. The heels throw all of the faces out of the ring and focus on Givens, until Robbie Cassidy does another nuts dive from the cage to take out Logan, the only thing I didn't love was the finish with Givens getting a stoppage on James with MMA elbows, they didn't look great and they added some unneeded 2000s to a match that was gloriously 80s. Still this was a fucking blast, everything you want a War Games to deliver.

• GSR changed the title to [2009-03-21-CWA] G1 (Tony Givens & Robby Cassidy & Moe Jenkins & Wayne Adkins) vs The First Family (Brian Logan & Beau James) & The VSS (Alyx Winters & Chase Owens)