Pro Wrestling Only

[2007-03-04-NOAH-Navigate For Evolution] Jun Akiyama vs Mohammed Yone

GOTNW

Yone attacks Akiyama at the bell, which looks way cooler than those segments usually do since a bunch of smoke comes out when Akiyama climbs on the entrance ramp and Yone takes advantage of that. The kicks he takes Akiyama down with looked clunky, which was the first sign I wasn't going to like this as much as I did however many years ago I'd watched it first. Akiyama's acting is top notch-he gets into Yone's face and goes straight after him, Yone instantly fired back with kicks, Akiyama barely registers it, then gets kicked in the face and has to, then gets serious and Exploders him off the apron. And that pattern continues-Akiyama mocks Yone when in control, tries to half ass it with the pop-ups when in danger but gets kicked in the head again. Eventually Yone hits some big moves, including a brutal head kick which busts Akiyama open. Akiyama manages to somehow kick Yone straight in the face to counter a Diving Legdrop, and from there on it's pure smashmouth as many slaps and knees set up Akiyama's victory. Definitely a quality sprint, but Akiyama seemed unwilling to put himself over as strongly as he should've for a match like this to reach its full potential. He always does *a lot* whereas someone like Kobashi or Takayama may not put as much thought/effort/whatever into facing lower ranked opponents but because of the greatness of their offence and how strongly they present themselves they still put on strong outings, maybe not as good as those Akiyama does, but they don't focus on them as much as he does either. ***1/2

Aaaand of course I spelled Yone's name wrong again.

• GSR changed the title to [2007-03-04-NOAH-Navigate For Evolution] Jun Akiyama vs Mohammed Yone