Pro Wrestling Only

RAW

Coffey

We never talk about the current product that much anymore. Well, unless it's like newsbits.

Not a bad Raw. Here's some of my thoughts:

- Raw started with the Diva's Battle Royal. If it's going to happen, they might as well get it out of the way early. The crowd gets to pop for all the attractive women coming out and the match was kept short. Candice got to the point quickly in her post-celebration promo and then Edge & Lita hit the ring. Edge hit his point quickly as well: Him & Foley at 'Mania. Not a great opening segment but they got their points across and did what needed to be done. Now we know that Candice is the #1 contender to Trish's women's title, so we have that match next week. We also have Foley showing up to give his answer to Edge's match. After the first segment of Raw, we already know two things that are going to happen next week. That's a good thing.

- Carlito's match was entertaining as he talked the whole time while taking out that jobber. It also let's us know that at Wrestlemania, there will be another Money in the Bank.

- The Spirit Squad are comedy. I really liked that trampoline spot. Marty coming back is funny because someone here just mentioned him the other day. I wasn't real high on HBK getting as much offense as he did. Afterall, it was one-on-four.

- Kane/Masters wasn't bad. Kane got his win back from losing to Masters in the WM tournament. I liked how Kane won with a move other than the Chokeslam. It's nice to see that shit. It brings that "unpredictable" feel back. I remember actually caring about near-falls at one time. The post-match Masterlock while Kane was doing his pyro thing was a nice touch.

- We all knew that HHH was going to win the 3-way but the match was still solid enough. RVD seemed more over in this match than he has been since his return to the company. The Big Show makes a great monster. We got the "Mania Moment" staredown between Cena/HHH too.

I'd say the low point of Raw was the Shelton/Flair match and even that match got the IC title off of Flair which is a good thing. I'm not real high on the whole Mama Benjamin storyline/angle but I think Shelton will make a decent enough midcard IC heel champion.

Carlito reminded me of Piper, talking while beating up that jobber. He's really been improving and I think while the company's got hard-ons for Cena and Orton, Carlito's going to end up being the star.

At least the Spirit Squad are starting to show their talent, and the trampoline adds all sorts of possibilities. I'm glad they're using real first names for Johnny (Jeter), Nicky (Nemeth), and Kenny (Doane) so I know when my OVW heroes are in the match.

So, who else is going to be in this Money in the Bank match with Carlito? Obviously Rob Van Dam. Shelton probably won't because I could see him being in an IC title match. Masters will probably be in a Masterlock Challenge with Kane. I can't remember if last years match was open to both brands or not. They could slap someone like Matt Hardy in it.

I wish WWE would bring back the Gimmick Battle Royal from Wrestlemania 17. Man, I marked out hard when Michael Hayes and Tugboat both came out.

I can see Rob Van Dam & Carlito. Possibly Masters too, although I can't imagine what he'd do in a ladder match. A Masterlock through a rung? Who knows, I could've said the same about Kane and he's been in a TLC match amongst other things, so who knows?

There's a lot of people I like to see in it, like Jamie Noble, but I highly doubt they'll get the chance. Especially if a World Title shot is on the line sometime down the road. Someone like Spanky or London could tear the place down in a ladder match but they can't win it, so they shouldn't bother.

If it's Raw only, I'd say Carlito, Rob Van Dam, Chavo Guerrero...I think it has to be interbrand. It's too bad WWE doesn't use people like Rene Dupree, Johnny Swinger or Rob Conway because they'd be great for situations like this.

Guest savagerulz

Interesting tidbit from someone who was at Raw:

After Raw ended, the fans were cheering for Triple H as he left, and booing Cena. Cena cut a promo, but was booed. Edge then came out, and we had Edge vs. Cena in a long match, with Cena winning. A LOT of fans left before this ended.

So I wondered, if the above is true, if/when HHH takes the belt at WM and holds it for another 4-6 months if people will still be singing that tune.

Many wanted Cena a year ago too - and that sentiment ain't too kind now.

Wrestling companies always seem to get caught in that web, fans want to see the guy they don't like lose the belt, and when he does, the heat goes away since they wanted to see the ex champ lose more than they wanted to see the guy who won with the belt. 9 times out of 10 the promotion ends up putting the belt back on the guy the people wanted to see lose, since then there was at least some heat.

Guest Cam Chaos

Anyone know what RVD gets these days per year as a down side on his contract? I'd assume he's got a Swiss bank account with a fair amount stashed away if he's willing to come back just to lay down right after his return.