Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-09-WCW-Thunder] Sting & The Cat vs Great Muta & Vampiro

soup23

This has a cool novelty to see Sting and Muta lock it up one more time but as a tag match, it isn’t great. I am not the biggest fan by any means but Cat trying to match him in kicking sequences was awful. Vampiro and Sting continue to have absolutely no chemistry with each other. Muta getting the mist on the Stinger Splash attempt was nice. Cat actually scores the pin before we have the big moment of Demon coming out and putting the Scorpion onto Sting after blowing red mist into Cat. Yawn. ¾*

• 3 months later...

‘The Cat’ saved the Jung Dragons from Vampiro and the Great Muta earlier in the show and was going to get a mystery partner in order to face them later. He’s out first, followed by his opponents and warns them to think twice before stepping in the ring here because he’s got a bad man by his side and “its show time!” Sting is back and has made a complete recovery after being set on fire and thrown off the scaffolding at the Great American Bash! This starts on the outside with the four of them pairing off and Sting nailing Vamp over the back a couple of times with a chair. Running splash against the guard rail, but Vampiro moves and he goes crashing into it himself. He rolls him inside and Muta with a powerdrive elbow. Front chancery by Vamp and Sting with a tag, however the referee’s distracted by Muta so it’s behind his back and he ushers ‘the Cat’ out of there. Spinning heel kick drops Sting, he reverses the whip to the turnbuckle though only to fly into a Vampiro big boot on the ‘Stinger splash’. Vamp misses a spinning heel kick and a double clothesline sees both men go down. Hot tag to ‘the Cat’ and his exchanges with Muta and Vampiro are really ugly. All four men are in the ring and Sting is having no luck with his ‘Stinger splashes’ today as he goes for one on Muta only to get sprayed with the green mist as he’s mid air. ‘Feliner kick’ by ‘the Cat’ on Vampiro and he and Sting get the win. The Demon is out and struggles to put Sting in the Scorpion deathlock, while Muta blows the red mist in the face of ‘the Cat’ leaving him lying.

Not sure having Sting return in a throwaway match on Thunder was the best way to bring him back. This has its moments such as the opening brawl at ringside and I really liked him flying into Vamp’s boot and the mist on the ‘Stinger splashes’, but the in ring action felt laboured at times, even more so when ‘the Cat’ was in there. I’ll never understand how a supposed martial arts practitioner can have such bad looking kicks? I’m guessing that by teaming with Sting he’s officially a face now, although with how this company is I wouldn’t be surprised to see him acting as a heel come the PPV or Nitro!

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-09-WCW-Thunder] Sting & The Cat vs Great Muta & Vampiro