Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-24-Toryumon] Kennichiro Arai vs Genki Horiguchi

soup23

We get less than half of this but it looked like a solid singles match to enter the meaty portion of the match. Arai isn't the most interesting personality but he is technically very sound. I do like him continually going for his twisting headbutt and him finally hitting it felt like a big turning point in the match overall. His 450 to gain the pin also looked good. Genki is still so young and 18 minutes may have been ambitious for him at this point in his career. I don't think from the clips this match rose above good and was a roaring success but it wasn't a failure either which at this point in these two guys' development, is not a bad thing at all. NR

• 4 months later...

I liked this quite a bit. When the clips pick things up Arai misses a headbutt but then cuts off Genki with a boot to the face which is a spot that I love -- a comeback tease taken away and then Genki gets over the hump and takes over for real. There are some really pleasing sequences they work together over Genki's finisher and Arai's piledriver that maybe fell a little too much on the cutesy side and I thought they maybe rose from one move too many at the end but it was not over the top.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-24-Toryumon] Kennichiro Arai vs Genki Horiguchi