Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-09-09-MPPW-TV] Derrick King vs Khan

soup23

Power Pro is sputtering to the finish here. I enjoy a tournament as much as the next person but The Ultimate Victory Tournament is the most generic sounding name I have heard for a tournament and winning a new Harley didn't exactly sweeten the pot any. The action here is fine for a straight tv match and King continues to feel beneath the other talent level he is surrounded by. I was pissed that he took the loss here but I guess they are still playing up the down on his luck streak with King. *1/4

• 2 months later...

A first round match in something called the ‘Ultimate Victory’ tournament, where the overall winner will win themselves a motor cycle. King with the early upper hand which sees the pair even pull out some Guerrero/Malenko pinfall reversal spots. He goes for a Lucha style wheelbarrow but Khan blocks whatever he’s got planned, pancaking him to the mat. ‘T-Bone suplex’, Khan looks for the ‘Oriental spike’ although DK still has his wits about him and counters with a belly to back suplex. As King fires back, Khan shoots him into the official and we have our obligatory Power Pro ref bump. Crossbody by King but there’s no-one to count the fall. Superkick, he’s still down, so DK now counts himself getting the visual pin in the process. By the time the ref has recovered, so has Khan and he kicks out at two. Khan reverses the whip to the corner, King with the tip up and Khan crashes into the turnbuckles. He runs to the opposite one and tries the same again, but Khan doesn’t fall for it a second time, waiting for him to land and immediately slapping on the ‘Oriental spike’. King rolls forward trying to break out, however Khan has got him trapped, the hold locked on and King passes out as Khan advances to round two.

This ‘Ultimate Victory’ tournament is so 1980’s, like when they would give away a TV or a car to the winner. We surprisingly get to see brackets for the tournament, although the roster is so thin at the moment there are both question marks and byes in there to fill up all the spots. After breaking his streak last week, King is back in the losing column here. I like the way he tried to fight out of the ‘Oriental spike’ though, a hold that they’re continuing to protect and let no-one escape from at the moment.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-09-09-MPPW-TV] Derrick King vs Khan