Pro Wrestling Only

[2010-01-31-WWE-Royal Rumble] Sheamus vs Randy Orton

Superstar Sleeze

WWE Champion Sheamus vs Randy Orton - Royal Rumble 2010

I needed a break from John Cena. This was chicken soup for a wrestling traditionalist's soul. Just two brutalizing grinders looking to take a limb home with them. Context, Orton is still a heel and the leader of Legacy, but there is some friction in Legacy. Sheamus won his first World Championship in a fluke over John Cena the previous month in a tables match. This is heel vs heel, but the crowd is definitely pro-Orton with a big Randy chant. They work dueling limb psychology so both get a chance to work on top but Orton is definitely playing face at the end of the match. I loved the beginning of the match great energy from Randy. That quick fire dropkick was great. I know Orton says he doesn't like to work face, but I think he is a great babyface shine wrestler. Great hard hitting slugfest erupts. It is short but sweet in the commotion Sheamus grabs the arm and takes it driving it into his own knee. Sheamus works the arm well a couple minutes later, Orton slips out of a powerslam and chop blocks the knee. The selling when each is on offense could better (moreso Sheamus), but the work on top is great and I love how they are cutting each other off by attacking the injured limb. Again little too much dead space in between spots, but still both are committed to the work. They trade set up moves Irish Curse Backbreaker and Hangmans DDT, but they are set up by using the injured limbs. Orton goes for the punt after his DDT, Sheamus rolls to the outside. Orton had a great European Uppercut. He is really rocking Sheamus. Orton gets back in and Cody attacks Sheamus. Ref sees it. Sheamus is all pissy. Orton RKO, but the ref calls for the bell. You see this is all to set up LEGACY EXPLODES~! at WrestleMania XXVI. The finish does lead somewhere so I cant fault them for that. Wish Sheamus got the duke in way that didn't make him look like a victim. Still good, solid meat & potatoes match ***

• GSR changed the title to [2010-01-31-WWE-Royal Rumble] Sheamus vs Randy Orton