Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-01-ECW-Anarchy Rulz] Justin Credible vs Jerry Lynn

soup23

I had little expectations about this match and for sure didn't expect it to be match of the night but here we are. I got behind the story of this one as Lynn as the hometown guy. Credible also gets some legit good heat here. Some of it is gimmicky like wearing the Favre jersey and getting on the mic mid match but Credible does things here with good timing that he misses in other matches resulting in them feeling like they are wrestled in a vacuum. Cyrus calls this match in a subdued tone on commentary which is a bit odd. Credible's offense on top was more compelling than usual and the sequencing from the table spot to the Cradle Piledriver nearfall was awesome. Once the Cradle Piledriver hit, it felt like Credible would escape especially after the That's Incredible but they let Lynn kick out. HC Loc gets taken out and we get some more Danny Daniels bullshit which hasn't really worked at all and is a holdover from the Rhino match where he made a fast count. Francine cane shot and world title belt shot but Lynn kicks out even with the fast count. New Jack running in felt like a good way to even everything up and it leads to the cool moment of Lynn winning with the Cradle Tombstone. Overall, another strong ECW PPV that was enjoyable for me to watch start to finish. ***1/2 (7)

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-01-ECW-Anarchy Rulz] Justin Credible vs Jerry Lynn
  • 10 months later...

I imagine Lynn got an unreal ovation, what with this being held in his home town, but due to the over dubbing, imagining is what I’ll have to do.  Both tease hitting their finisher in the opening couple of minutes as they look to make it an early night.  Credible runs into a big boot and the challenger then picks up the first two count of the match after a middle rope bulldog.  Lynn reverses the whip to the corner and Credible goes flying over the turnbuckles to the outside.  Top rope plancha to the floor, although I’m not sure how much of that he got as it appeared Lynn hit his elbow hard on the guard rail.  The action returns to the ring and Credible with a ‘Bubba slam’ as he looks to slow down his opponent’s momentum.  Francine passes him a chair which he slams Jerry’s head into, followed by a short powerbomb onto the chair.  Credible tosses him to the floor and the champion goes right on after him.  The two trade blows up the aisle and towards the dressing room, not making it that far, Credible ramming Lynn’s’ head into the steel mesh before grinding his face into it.  Back inside, reverse DDT and when that doesn’t get him the three he’s in the face of referee H.C. Loc questioning his count.  Credible goes full on Jerry Lawler, grabbing the ring mic and insulting Lynn whilst at the same time putting the boots to him.  This is getting great heat as the fans start pelting the ring with litter.  Lynn counters the backdrop with a DDT onto a steel chair as Styles wonder whether he can capitalise.  Very un-Lynn like, he collects a table from ringside and lays Credible across it.  He heads upstairs, however Francine grabs his leg to prevent him from doing anything.  Credible is now back to his feet and slams him through the table.  There’s a good pop as Lynn kicks out after that.  He does so again after a sunset flip and you can sense Credible’s frustration growing at the challenger’s resilience.  Lynn escapes the attempted ‘That’s Incredible’, hits the cradle piledriver but this time Credible is the one doing the kicking out.  He goes for a ‘That’s Incredible’ of his own, Credible reverses and that’s kicked out of as well.  Loc is accidentally floored by a Credible superkick (although as is often the case with these you knew it was coming because of how close he was stood to the wrestlers) and Lynn rolls him up.  Danny Daniels appears out of thin air to count the fall only to stop his count at two claiming Credible got a shoulder up.  Fuck, not this shit again.  Lynn is about to give Daniels the cradle piledriver when Francine cane him across the back.  Credible KO’s him with the World title belt and, as Cyrus starts cackling thinking this is over, Lynn kicks out while Daniels was attempting to fast count him.  More crap involving Daniels, even caning Lynn between the eyes at one point.  A second ‘That’s Incredible’, Daniels, who decides to now count normally, stops at two to give Lynn the middle finger, then as he goes to bring his hand down for the third time New Jack’s horribly dubbed music starts playing.  Rather than continuing the count he freezes in his tracks.  New Jack destroys a baking tray over Daniels’ head, completely ignoring his advice that he’s the referee and not to put his hands on him.  Credible saves him from getting his head cut open by New Jack’s scythe, but in doing that he forgets about his opponent. Lynn from behind, cradle tombstone piledriver and Loc has recovered to count the fall as we have ourselves a new ECW World Heavyweight champion.  The face locker room empties to celebrate with the new champion, who wants to address the crowd, however mic issues mean he can’t do so.

This built well and was pretty darn good from when Credible grabbed the mic mid-match and channelled his inner Jerry Lawler… that was until all the crap with Danny Daniels.  I suppose it did lead to him getting his ultimate comeuppance after everything that has gone on recently, and it played off the previous bout, but it properly took something away from the match for me.  Oh and don’t start me on how ridiculous it was that he stopped his count at two, both in giving Lynn the finger and then even after New Jack’s music kicked in not finishing the count.  Hopefully this is the last we see of him in this terrible heel referee role.  Lynn finally wins the big one in his home town to end an enjoyable PPV, although personally this would’ve worked better for me without the Daniels involvement.