Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-09-WCW-Nitro] Sting vs Scott Steiner

soup23

Well we are without Russo but some dwindling byproducts are still happening. Jarrett is the referee and of course is biased. The action between Steiner and Sting isn’t half bad but I am so far away from being invested in any of this nonsense involving heel authority figures on WCW. Just give me Steiner wrecking folks setting up a showdown with Goldberg. Cat and Booker comes out and Booker assumes the referee position. He attacks Steiner and Sting hits the Death Drop for the pin. Crowd does pop for the face getting one over. *1/2

• 7 months later...

It's hard to even invest in the action between Sting and Steiner because the dumb shit just overwhelms everything that goes on in the match.  It's mind-numbing.  Steiner has such a bigger presence than all this stuff and should have been an out of control heel who didn't bother with scheming and cheap tactics, etc.  Booker T and Sting end the show on the strong note and that's kind of nice, but this was blah.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-09-WCW-Nitro] Sting vs Scott Steiner
  • 4 weeks later...

Jeff Jarrett walks out after the two wrestlers and he’s wearing the black & white stripes having been made the special guest referee by Mike Sanders.  I wonder how this one is going to play out then.  First thing he does when he steps through the ropes is shove Sting, and when ‘the Stinger’ grabs him around the throat he’s jumped from behind by Big Poppa Pump.  Steiner starts out strong but the moment Sting gets on the offensive, Jarrett hooks his arm to prevent him from laying in any more shots.  ‘Sir Pumpalot’ tosses Sting through the ropes to the outside, however he reverses the Irish whip and Steiner goes clattering into the guard rail.  Sting then slugs Jarrett before throwing him into the ring.  Hip toss, lariat, inverted atomic drop, clothesline off the middle, all to ‘Double J’ and I can’t be arsed to write any more about this as I’ve seen enough heel officials and the like in WCW this year.  The finish comes with Booker replacing Jarrett as the referee (he was dragged to the back by ‘the Cat’ who’d had enough of the interference and double teaming), superkicking Steiner after he makes a moves for him and Sting hitting the ‘Scorpion Death Drop’ for the win.

I’m long past caring when it comes to heel referees in WCW, as a result I couldn’t get into this one iota knowing what the end scenario is likely (although it wasn’t!) to be.