Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-04-IWC SoCal] B-Boy vs Rocky Romero

AstroBoy

B-Boy is so skinny here and Romero looks really young. Reyes is with him here at ringside and does a fine job as a second, eventually running in to cause a DQ. B-Boy had a nice presence here and laid it in pretty well but kind of took a while to set up a clunky spinning reverse suplex. Romero has never been my guy but he looked pretty solid here and seemed to direct the match pretty well. Nothing special but an interesting glimpse at these two.

• 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-08-04-IWC SoCal] B-Boy vs Rocky Romero
  • 6 months later...

The first time I ever saw B-Boy (in CZW) he had hair, so even though you imagine him bald, seeing him with hair didn’t surprise me.  He gets down on his knees and puts his hands behind his head to let the ref check him, almost like a criminal being frisked.  Ricky Reyes is accompanying his Gringo partner to the ring for this bout.  A good fast paced opening here, Romero landing on his feet as B-Boy rolls out the way of the Lionsault, but as he then runs at him, Boy ducks and pulls down the top rope, Rocky flying over it to the outside.  Sit out hip toss for our first two count of the match.  Romero is whipped into the corner, however he catches B with a headscissors and drives his head into the middle turnbuckle.  Flying back elbow smash followed by his springboard senton/springboard twisting senton combination.  Rocky’s chops wake B-Boy up and he hits some sort of spinning powerslam, although that takes as much out of him as it does his opponent. Top rope frankensteiner by Rocky for a near fall.  B-Boy reverses the Irish whip and gets a near fall of his own after a chokeslam into a diamond cutter.  Rocky ducks a clothesline and dumps B with a great looking belly to back suplex.  Springboard DDT and this time its B-Boy getting a foot over the rope to stop the count.  B counters the tornado DDT but as he heads upstairs Reyes trips him, interfering for the DQ.  Primetime Peterson makes the save and Los Gringos bail at the earliest opportunity before a bit of mic work sets up a tag match for next week.

A bit indyriffic at times, but I quite enjoyed it with the pace that they were both cutting and the innovation shown, however it’s yet another IWC SoCal match with an incredibly poor finish.