Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-10-31-WWO] Black Shadow Jr & Climax vs Difunto I & Difunto II

Jetlag

Really fun classic lucha formula match. Arena Mexico stuff can get a little cerebral and choppy here and there, so it was nice to see 4 guys stretching out in front of an appreciatve Tijuana audience. Difuntos have a really awesome cartoon villain look with shoulder spikes and skulls, while Black Shadow Jr. has that Scott Steiner sunken chest and seedy old luchador charisma, and Climax with his shirt and suspenders looks like a regular dude who put on a mask and walked into the ring. Black Shadow Jr. was perfectly good as your old guy with his working boots on, hitting some really nice armdrags, trippy flying headbutts and a solid punch. In between the exchanges the Difuntos do every bumbling idiot spot in the book. While this was a formula match through and through I really liked that you honestly couldn't tell when the rudo beatdown was gonna begin. Once the Difuntos start bringing the beating you get Climax selling the fuck out of his leg. The technico comeback is great fun too with Shadow Jr. spitting and Difuntos getting their heads banged and thrown into the chairs. The finish is a riot too and the crowd eats all this up. This is a rare lucha show with good audio so you can actually hear how the fans respond to each individual spot and by the end everyone's cheering loudly. The first fall had some genuinely excellent work and all the shtick all worked like a charm. Textbook lucha match, not something you'd seek out on paper, but I enjoyed it a good deal.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-10-31-WWO] Black Shadow Jr & Climax vs Difunto I & Difunto II