Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-02] La Ola Lila (Rudy Reyna & Sergio el Hermoso & Bello Greco) vs Los Cadetes del Espacio (Solar #1 & Super Astros & Ultraman)

AstroBoy

Jesus this really was awesome. From the opening we get some very good matwork with everybody working nice exchanges with each other. Everything is so smooth and effortless without appearing fake in any way. This eventually transitions into a Rudo dominant sequence that caps the first fall.

And this is where things start to get really great. I don't exactly know what I was expecting but it wasn't this. Obviously for 1984 this had to be incredibly state-of-the-art action. I will cop to not being able to keep straight who was who at certain moments but there were so many standout spots as The Space Cadets take it to the rudos in the segunda. Unbelievably crisp action one particularly death-defying assisted Plancha to the outside and great comedy. The glue running through this is the rudo team constantly paying for their pomp and prancing and flamboyance. At every turn the tecnicos are there to one-up them and get a great pop from the crowd.

Instead of going into individual spots I will just say that the match comes together like a crazy Rube Goldberg machine of people being in the right place at the right time in logical ways, always getting great reactions at the right time and building constantly to a super satisfying finish

Lucha is still new to me and I don't have the deepest knowledge base to reference from. It was with some trepidation that I went into this match, fearing that maybe I just wouldn't grasp it as well as I should. I was completely wrong. This is a match that transcends it's era and holds up to the test of time and actually made me more excited and interested to dive into 80s Lucha.

• GSR changed the title to [1984-02] La Ola Lila (Rudy Reyna & Sergio el Hermoso & Bello Greco) vs Los Cadetes del Espacio (Solar #1 & Super Astros & Ultraman)
  • 4 years later...

La Ola Lila vs Los Cadetes del Espacio 02-26-1984

Rudy Reyna & Sergio el Hermoso & Bello Greco vs Solar #1 & Super Astros & Ultraman

This is a trios match, UWA made those matches famous, this company was the most innovative in México at the time, this match isn’t my thing, it’s the opposite of what I consider a great mexican trios match, it has no redeemable qualities, when I reviewed Los Brazos career I highlighted their appeal, how their style of comedy made their matches memorable, there’s nothing in this match that makes it memorable, their offense is just good on a surface level but the more I think about it the more I realise how dumb it is. Michinoku Pro did things even dumber than this match but they were just figuring out what’s lucha, if you are mexican you can’t use that excuse, you can say that they’re trying to do new things and you would be right but they do it without any personality, I didn’t feel like I was watching a pro wrestling match, lucha is made of personalities and this match doesn’t have that, it’s absolutely soulless, I know this match has some fans but I just don’t see what makes this match special I’m happy thinking that some people see in this contest the wrestling they want, as I said in my review of the 3/16 Michinoku Pro trio almost everybody is right in wrestling, there’s no definitive answers in wrestling and that’s amazing, I can’t imagine a world where wrestling is objective, that’s a dystopian reality for me, I’m sure someone loved this match as much as I hated it and that’s the best part about wrestling, everybody can make their case for everything and most probably you’re right, that’s why I still watch wrestling, I watch wrestling because for me it’s the most special medium there is, professional wrestling is unique but this match just for me at all, I hope someone can change my mind.