Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-28-IWA-PR-Heavyweight Title Tournament] Miguel Perez Jr vs Rastaman

soup23

Unfamiliar with Rastaman but just based on this one match, he struck me as a Hillbilly Jim type of character for the promotion that reaches an archtype but doesn’t exactly shine in ring. The result was a clunky match and pretty poor brawl with Perez also not impressing me. The heat is still good here but the matches and show overall are starting to drag. **

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-28-IWA-PR-Heavyweight Title Tournament] Miguel Perez Jr vs Rastaman
  • 7 months later...

I hope Rastaman doesn’t blow himself up again by the time he’s finished his entrance like last night.  Dang, that’s some fine looking valet he’s got accompanying him.  Yup, he must’ve learnt as there’s no dancing around tonight, he just removes his waistcoat and bandana, slides into the ring and goes straight for Perez.  Miguel gets the jump on him after ducking to the outside and unloads with hard knife edge chops.  Christ, 1970’s stereotypes are alive and kicking in Puerto Rico as Rasta no sells having his head rammed into the turnbuckles.  Perez slaps on a rear chinlock however, unlike Chicky Starr, Rasta doesn’t work the crowd.  With Doug Gentry making sure we get plenty of close ups of his attractive valet cheering her man on, Rasta fights his way out of both that and the subsequent sleeperhold.  Miguel telegraphs the back drop and Rasta with an uppercut followed by a big powerbomb.  He fails to connect on the somersault senton and Perez then collects the Kendo stick he’d bought out with him from the corner.  Before he gets the chance to use it the ref grabs hold of it and in the confusion Rasta snatches it away from them both.  The official tries to prevent him from using it, but he just brushes him aside and lays into Perez for the DQ finish.  Rasta canes the referee post-match, much to the crowd’s approval and then dances away with the hotty.

I didn’t recognise Perez at first without his customary Puerto Rican singlet and it was as though he’s now styling himself after Tommy Dreamer.  Another nothing performance out of Rastaman, Perez really wasn’t much better and a forgettable match (lovely lady aside) with a weak conclusion.