Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-11-01-WCW-Thunder] Rey Mysterio Jr & Billy Kidman vs Alex Wright & Disco Inferno

soup23

Kidman calls out NBT before the match and he is still not a good promo at all. The tag division continues to be the highlight of WCW and this was one of the better examples. A really good match with Alex Wright in particular looking fantastic when the Boogie Knights take over. I was a little bummed that the crowd again seems more subdued than you would expect but it is 2000 WCW so I can give them a pass. The Animals hot tag and run through of offense leading to the finish was great and mixed in a lot of decidedly 2000 spots like the Bronco Buster and legdrop to the stomach and balls for the pinfall. Good match. ***1/4 (6.4)

• GSR changed the title to [2000-11-01-WCW-Thunder] Rey Mysterio Jr & Billy Kidman vs Alex Wright & Disco Inferno
  • 1 month later...

Catchphrase Central with K-Dogg is back.  Kidman thinks the only reason that the Natural Born Thrillers look so good is because of guys like he and Rey who make them look good.  They still suck though and they’ve had enough of carrying a pair of greenhorns so, after they take care of the Boogie Knights, they’re coming for those tag team belts.  Kidman is so vanilla in his delivery while his insult to Alex Wright is to call him a bottle of milk!

The Filthy Animals jump the Knights as they enter the ring not bothering to wait for the bell.  Nice Saito suplex by Wright on Kidman before removing his leather jacket and whipping him with it.  A lovely sequence between the two ends with a Kidman flying headscissors.  Alex ducks a clothesline and drops him with a heel kick.  Disco gets distracted by a ‘Disco Sux’ chant allowing the Animals to turn the tide in their favour.  At one point it looks like Rey lands flush on his horns after a slingshot headscissors and I never understood why he wrestled in them as I always thought it was only a matter of time before something like that would happen.  The Filthy Animals remain in control until Disco reverses an Irish whip and Kidman goes flying out over the top rope to the floor.  Usually the wrestler will grab the top rope to break their fall on that spot, not Kidman who doesn’t even touch it.  That was a crazy bump to take.  The Knights then target his lower back as they look to soften him up.  Disco drops Kidman across his knee from a reverse DDT position.  Knee drop from the top turnbuckle to the back by Wright followed by a modified surfboard/camel clutch.  Kidman dumps Disco with a back suplex and finally makes the hot tag to Rey.  Springboard guillotine leg drop to the back of the neck of Alex.  Arabian moonsault on Disco and Wright has recovered in time to break up the pin.  Combination baseball slide to the groin/bronco buster by the Animals.   Rey takes Disco over the top rope to the outside with a huracanrana, whilst Kidman utilises the turnbuckles for a spinning bulldog on Wright.  One ‘Kid Crusher’ (Tomokaze) later and the Filthy Animals pick up the win as the Natural Born Thrillers remain clearly in their sights.

Every time I see Alex Wright now I can’t help but think about all those possible matches we missed out on because he never went to the WWF.  The guy is young enough to still be competing today and just imagine the talent that’s gone through that company in the past 17 years and all the guys who he could’ve worked with but never did.  Good match.