Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-02-03-JAPW-The New Beginning] Homicide & Sandman vs Da Hit Squad

GSR

Sandman’s entrance last a good five minutes, lowlighted by pouring beer into the mouth and down the chest of a woman who’s a good bit older than him and who is old enough to know better. So much for Da Hit Squad’s talk of it just being the two of them from now on after their manager turned on them in the match against The Moondogs, as they’ve got someone called Johnny D in their corner here. The Sandman’s first move is to crack Mafia over the head with his cane twice before tossing him to the floor and whipping him into the guard rail. Homicide whips Mack into the turnbuckles, Sandman slams a ladder against him and they then whip Mafia into the ladder and his own partner. The action quickly returns to the outside and with Sandman seemingly more concerned about finding himself a table, Mack jabs him with one of Johnny’s golf clubs. Meanwhile over on the other side the camera looks up just in time to catch Homicide with a flip dive through the ropes and out onto Mafia. The Sandman has got his table, positions it over the barricade and launches Mack through it. Three blistering knife edge chops by Homicide with Mafia taking a flat back bump on the concrete off the last one. Sandman suplexes Mack onto a ladder, before heading to the back to collect something. I really don’t like the way he does that, especially as moments after jumping out the ring Mafia slammed that same ladder into Homicide. Instead of turning around to help his partner, he carries on his way. Anyway he collects a guard rail and lobs that over the top rope and into the ring. After suplexing Mack onto a ladder earlier, this time he gets suplexed onto the rail. He’s taken some uncomfortable bumps tonight although does kick out of the cover at two. Homicide places a chair over Mafia’s head and jumps off the middle onto it with a foot stomp. Ouch! Senton off the top by Sandman onto a ladder covered Mafia, double ouch! Homicide picks up the ladder but doesn’t see Mack who levels him with a chair shot. ‘Rikishi driver’ on Sandman and a powerslam for Homicide. Sandman leaves his partner again to go grab himself a table; eventually finding one while everyone has to sell in the ring waiting for him. Another senton off the top, this time putting Mafia through the table. Assisted ‘Cop Killa’ on Mack and the Sandman and Homicide team pick up the win.

This was filmed by RF and he does a pretty poor job. Instead of standing still he’s constantly on the move around ringside trying to get close to the action, as a result this is really shaky and I almost felt sea sick watching at times. Your typical Sandman garbage match with Singapore cane, tables, ladders, guard rails, all the usual suspects. Not great, maybe not good, but easily watchable with DHS’s bodies taking plenty of punishment. The one thing I really hate when it comes to the Sandman though is when he ups and leaves a match to head to the back or search for something under the ring, even worse when his partner is being beaten on. It’s as though his ‘table spot’ or whatever is more important than helping his partner. Final point on that I was surprised how dominant Homicide & Sandman were here, controlling the vast majority of the match.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-02-03-JAPW-The New Beginning] Homicide & Sandman vs Da Hit Squad
  • 9 months later...

The post ECW closing ECW arena landscape is interesting. I can see why an indie like JAPW would want to run there and capitalize on what could be a built in audience. However, looking at this crowd and the presentation, it just seems second rate to even ECW standards and doesn't have the same buzz. Sandman coming out already feels like a nostalgia act they company had to bring in. The garbage brawl they have here is fun. Homicide was bumping around and him and Sandman had an interesting chemistry with each other. It was jarring to see HIt Squad be jobbed out pretty definitively here but I guess Sandman had the name cache and they wanted him to be showcased. *** (5.8)