Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-06-26-NOAH] Takashi Sugiura vs Kenoh

nivvad

Honestly this was a great match, but admittedly I don't think it was as good as their match from March. The intensity and story was there, and I loved Kenous performance, but what was missing from this match was I guess the urgency from both guys. Lots of hard strikes and big moves as is the signature NOAH style, but I would've liked to have seen both guys actually trying to win the match rather than just beat the hell out of each other. Of course it keeps both guys looking strong in deafeat or victory, but at the same time it makes Kenoh especially look somewhat premature to take hold of the ship. The old guard vs young generation war rages on with Go stepping up to Sugiura next, ****1/4.

A very worthy successor to their barn-burner in March. While this match was maybe just as violent as the first, it wasn't so much about the violence as it was Kenoh's defiance and desire to prove himself to Sugiura. From the very beginning Kenoh tries to brush off his mentor's offense as best he can, but eventually Sugiura hits an elevated swinging neckbreaker to the outside and is able to establish control. Kenoh's selling of the neck was very good throughout and had some really clever spots such as grabbing the back of his head due to the whiplash of a Sugiura spear. Sugiura tries to prove he knows Kenoh better than he does with counter ankle locks, but Kenoh is finally able to recover and drag Sugiura into a dogfight. And boy oh boy what a dogfight it is. As much of a wonderful bastard as Kenoh can be, he proved he can be just as good if not better as a fiery babyface, getting nearly knocked out by Sugiura only to struggle back up to his feet as if to say "Is that the best you got?" He is defiant to the end even when he knows defeat is inevitable.

It seems like a bit of odd booking that Kenoh couldn't put Sugiura away with two head kicks AND a double footstomp, but the endgame seems to be for Kenoh to get closer with each shot until he can finally overcome Sugiura in a third bout. 

All in all, a great match with tremendous babyface work by the man who SHOULD be king. ****1/2.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-06-26-NOAH] Takashi Sugiura vs Kenoh