Pro Wrestling Only

Rocky Johnson: What Happened?

sek69

I know Vince wanted to job out everyone his dad pushed as soon as he got control of the WWF, but I'm watching a 1984 houseshow and seeing Rocky Johnson jobbing to Nicolai Volkoff. It was like one step above a jobber match, and this is a guy who was half of the WWF tag team champions barely a year earlier.

What shocked me is how quickly his skills seemed to go downhill. Not that he was ever a great worker, but he got shockingly bad real fast. I guess it's a chicken and egg thing: did he get depushed because he got terrible in the ring, or did he stop giving a shit in the ring because of his rapid depush?

The main reason he got depushed was he was in his 40s and Vince wanted to push the guys around Hogan's age (and younger in a lot of cases). That simple.

As for why his ringwork depleted, I dunno. I know losing to Jesse Ventura in four minutes when the first three minutes of the match is stalling certainly can't be good for morale, but Johnson went from Tag Team Champion and IC contender to JTTS in about six months flat.