Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-04-05-NJPW] Yuji Nagata vs Tadao Yasuda

superkix

They turned up the heat a little with this one. Good frantic undertones to open the match and Nagata has more answers for Yasuda this time, throwing him with an overhead suplex to counter the double arm lock, all the reversals to the submission attempts on the mat, and that wrist-clutch Exploder to set up the finish. Yasuda dishes out more here but also takes a lot from Nagata. More suplexes are thrown, including a big launching double arm from Yasuda, and the stuff on the ground has a bit more life to it. Great performance from Nagata with his facial expressions and underdog spirit. Yasuda is still weirdly captivating. Good stuff. 

• 4 years later...

IWGP Champion Tadao Yasuda vs Yuji Nagata - NJPW 4/5/02

I thought this was a more spirited match from start to finish than the February match but I think the blood and rousing finish stretch keep the 2003 match ahead of this. Takayama is in the crowd and it is clear they are building to the Dome match in May for the IWGP championship. I like Yasuda just fine but I do think Nagata was the right choice for the Dome match with Takayama.

Two over-arching ideas to touch on. 1. I love the selling in Inokiist Japan. It is all register and great selling in holds. Today’s selling goes from 0 to 100% in one highspot back down to 0% to hit a couple moves back to 100% with the glassy eyed sell. There are levels to this. When you do a register-heavy selling, you leave room for escalation. 

2. I am not sure like this in all contexts. I find it more interesting than anything else. Is the use of suplexes/throws as ways to discombobulate your opponent and position them for finishing submission or Bomb. Obviously head-dropping ones should be sold. I think it’s interesting how Yasuda threw Nagata with a butterfly suplex. Nagata came rushing at Yasuda. We know from MMA suplexes look cool as fuck but don’t do much damage. So I think it is interesting way to use suplexes more as takedowns and set up moves. I think there are situations where suplexes should be big finishing bombs and where they should be takedowns to set up Opportunities and use it for body positioning. 

Hot start which was missing from their other matches. Nagata is aggressive out the gate but Yasuda comes out with Sumo Slaps to bully him into the corner. Guillotine Choke as he shoves the ref off. Pummels Nagata in the corner. Terrific opening.

The inevitable grappling is fine. It helped I read that post that Yasuda won a major match using his forearm to choke out an opponent. It is the usual Yasuda using his weight to get takedowns or shift his weight in to smother Nagata in various chokes (forearm on throat, head-arm triangle, and rear naked). Nagata was going for cross-armbreakers and leglocks. 

Nice call back to the February match is that when it looked like Yasuda was going to win the double underhook but this time the fighting spirit compelled Nagata to throw the big Yasuda over. This leads to two very hot Nagata leglocks. Yasuda looks in trouble.

Loved the three move sequence. Yasuda catches a kick. Creams Nagata with a beautiful right cross. Dude should be throwing more punches. Tiger Driver (loves those double underhook) and right after the kick out he pounced with a Head-Arm Triangle. The efficiency was sublime. 

It is choke city for Nagata. Yasuda left his ankles crossed but nothing happened. The one flaw of the match was on a third Guillotine attempt Nagata executed an armbar takedown into a Crossface felt too out of nowhere and easy. I love Nagata stumbling on his big high kick only for YASUDA TO ROAR AND HIT A MASSIVE DROPKICK! Tiger Driver! 1-2-No! Great strike exchange; Yasuda’s throws a great punch. Nagata German! Yasuda back to Guillotine but Nagata struggles and counters into a Wrist-Clutch Exploder! I love the sell and Crossface for the win.

Very entertaining finishing stretch and I just love the efficiency of these matches. ***3/4