Guest HTQ

Do you think Hulk Hogan vs. Big Show should take place at WM XXIII  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but...
    • No but...

Guest The Original HTQ

When Ford Field in Detroit was picked as the site for Wrestlemania XXIII it wasn't by accident. The next Wrestlemania will be the 20th anniversary of Wrestlemania III which took place at the Silverdome, also in Detroit, and saw Hulk Hogan take on Andre the Giant in front of '93,173' fans. The match is legendary. So, WWE are returning to Detroit for this special anniversary, but they also have a special match in mind; Hulk Hogan vs. The Big Show. The people hosting Wrestlemania have been quietly informed of what people speculated might happen at Wrestlemania, that one of the matches will be Hulk Hogan vs. Big Show. However, in recent months Big Show's physical condition has deteriorated to such a degree that not only is he intending to leave when his contract expires in February, but he also turned down a five year contract extension for $1m a year. Show has also been taken off of the few remaining ECW house shows and in the matches he has had any action he has been involved in has been minimal at best. Hogan himself is not a whole lot better, having an artificial hip and also being broken down and barely able to walk properly at the best of times. With both parties involved being in dubious physical condition the match might not even take place at all. Show might not feel it's worth the physical toll, even if he would take home a very strong six-figure payoff. However, if Hogan and, more importantly, Show are able to go through with the match, do you think it should happen? Will it happen at all, even if both men want it to?

I'm wondering if the stories about Show's health aren't being worked a bit. Sure, ECW style has to be hard on a 500 pound body, but this is almost exactly the same stories that circled around WM III, which was very much in doubt due to Andre's back problems.

As badly as they want to re-create Hogan/Andre, they just won't be able to. Years of comedy have pretty much robbed Show of having the air of the bad ass unstoppable freak of nature that heel Andre had. Even though it was exaggerated for the storyline, it was still a while since Andre had been beaten or slammed while everyone in the WWE has slammed or beaten Show at some point.

Maybe as part of the buildup, Show will be suspended for no showing house shows and we'll see the debut of the Show Machine.

Guest The Original HTQ

The stories aren't worked. Andre was in rough shape leading up to WM III and there was enough concern that he might not make it that they had a back-up plan in place in case he couldn't make it. In any event, Andre did make it but he only wrestled a couple of times the rest of the year because of how bad a condition he was in.

Guest The Original HTQ

I think he got the same. I just remember a Jim Barnett story where he was the one who gave Andre and Hogan, and Steamboat and Savage, their checks, and that was the amount.

In case you're wondering, Steamboat and Savage got $250,000 each.

The stories aren't worked. Andre was in rough shape leading up to WM III and there was enough concern that he might not make it that they had a back-up plan in place in case he couldn't make it. In any event, Andre did make it but he only wrestled a couple of times the rest of the year because of how bad a condition he was in.

I know the Andre stories are real, I'm wondering about the Big Show stories. It's pretty interesting that they want to have WM 23 with Hogan-Giant (by proxy) II and the same stories are coming out now that were around back then.  I kinda get the vibe that this is sort of a work-the-sheets type of deal since they've never mentioned it on TV or done any storylines that would indicate they're writing Show off like they normally do when someone's leaving.

BTW, what was the backup plan for WM III?

Guest The Original HTQ

They're not doing anything obvious to indicate Show is leaving, but they have taken measures to lighten his load. He's been taken off  the ECW house shows, and when he is in the ring they make sure he does almost nothing. Witness the main event of Cyber Sunday where his involvement was greatly limited.

I believe the back-up plan for WM III was for Paul Orndorff to take Andre's spot.