Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-03-05-NOAH-Navigation for Evolution 2005] Kenta Kobashi vs Takeshi Rikio

Vinnie B

They blow their load early with some bombs and brawling. Whether they were gassed after that, or the just didn't have a lot of ideas, they trundle along without doing much for the next 20 minutes. Still, they do a few interesting things in this time to keep my attention. I love spots on the ramp, but my word, going out just for a move on the ramp five times is a bit too much. They come back firing for the finish, with Kobashi unloading but unable to put the challenger away, followed by some heavy powerbombs and slams dropping Kobashi on his head. Your mileage may vary on this match, and it probably wasn't the way to end Kobashi's epic run, but it was pretty good. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2005-03-05-NOAH-Navigation for Evolution 2005] Kenta Kobashi vs Takeshi Rikio
  • 5 years later...

I can't believe this is how Kobashi goes down. There have been some baffling booking decisions of late like Austin Aries going over Joe and now Rikio beating Kobashi. Surely, this wasn't the guy NOAH fans wanted to see dethrone Kobashi. Unsurprisingly, the best parts of this were when Kobashi was on offense, though things do heat up during the finishing stretch as Japanese fan love to root for the underdog. I'm not sure how many of them actually thought Rikio would win the bout. The post-match is odd. Kobashi is all smiles. I thought they'd sell it like Kobashi had run out out of gas, but it's more like here's the belt, best of luck. Perhaps Rikio was supposed to be NOAH's answer to meatheads Kojima and Tenzan. What is going on, 2005 pro-wrestling?