Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-09-18-DDT] Soma Takao vs Kazuki Hirata

aaeo_

This is a match for the AJPW junior title, which Takao won from Hikaru Sato at Sumo Hall. That match was good but Sato, as great he is, is a really awkward fit with Takao. I think I might've actually liked this match more. Hirata doesn't do the dancing, which is fun but I'd say would feel really out of place in a match for an AJPW title. I do think at the core of his shtick is a genuine connection to the crowd based on him being a good underdog, which really shines here in a more serious context. In that way Hirata is like older DDT comedy wrestlers like Honda or Takanashi. On the other hand, Takao is someone who can execute things very smoothly but is kind of bland overall, but since Hirata is such a clear underdog here, he can take Hirata's brief spurts of offense and then do a smooth counter and go back to dominating the match and it fits the story. Even the forearm exchange feels earned thanks to Hirata's selling during it and beforehand. The finish was alright, I really dislike Takao's finisher. Would've loved to see Hirata escape that and them going for even one more minute before Takao won, that might've really pushed this to another level since it felt like the crowd was getting really into it there. I still found this refreshingly good due to the "story", especially since aside from that this is the kind of match that can feel soulless sometimes.

• GSR changed the title to [2016-09-18-DDT] Soma Takao vs Kazuki Hirata