Pro Wrestling Only

[2014-06-08 NJPW-BOSJ: Night Eight] Ricochet vs KUSHIDA

Superstar Sleeze

Ricochet vs KUSHIDA - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors FINALS 6/8/14

Surprisingly to me at least, Ricochet was more over than KUSHIDA throughout this match. I am a pretty big Ricochet fan. I have seen KUSHIDA at least once live, for some reason I think I have seen him twice. He is a name I see bandied around, but for some reason he doesnt he seem to do too hot on MOTY lists so I have never checked him out. I thought this was a really great juniors match that went off the rails and ventured into NOAH territory with 8 million inconsequential false finishes. 

The chain wrestling at the beginning was solid and entertaining. Ricochet convinces KUSHIDA that they do a criss cross spot but then rifles him in the gut with a kick. I popped for that. I wish it meant more though. They worked a Ricochet gymnastics sequence similar to the Ospreay which was nice but kinda wish the kick came at the end of that. Ricochet ends up on the outside and KUSHIDA slams Ricochet's arm against the apron. So because I have never seen KUSHIDA wrestle I didnt know his intention. Was he setting Ricochet up for something OR was Ricochet's left arm injured (he was wearing a sleeve). It turns out it was to set up KUSHIDA to have something to go back to when he needed to cut Ricochet off. It was a true touchstone throughout the match that never got dropped. So kudos for KUSHIDA to stay focused and Ricochet for the continuous selling. Ricochet hit a beautiful Flying Space Tiger Drop and I am a mark for that move. Ricochet's control segment was solid but nothing special. A lot of movement and it was snug & tight but it didnt feel like it was going anywhere. KUSHIDA was just letting him do the moves. 

The spot of the match was KUSHIDA dropkicking the bad arm when Ricochet did a back handspring. I marked so hard for that. That opened things up for KUSHIDA. Great dive to the floor and then a moonsault for two. After that, I feel they ventured into NOAH territory with false finishes and the crazy offense. I did like that not all the moves hit. Ricochet missed a Springboard Shooting Star Press and KUSHIDA missed a Spiral Tap. There was a great double wristlock takedown by KUSHIDA that I really liked. However stuff like Ricochet hitting a Go 2 Sleep kickout and then immediately a 630 kickout was a little much. My second favorite spot of the match was Ricochet was going for something complicated. KUSHIDA rolled back into a double wristlock center of the ring. The heat was off the charts. Honestly if Ricochet tapped right then and there, I would have forgiven everything and POPPED HUGE and been singing their praises. I was into that possible finish. Credit where it is due, Ricochet fought through this so well, clasping his hands when he could and selling it. The actual finish was an overly complicated kick to the head (the first one was a whiff, second one connected). Ricochet was wicked over and deserved the win. I enjoyed the match a lot honestly, but man I really fell in love with that possible double wristlock finish. ****

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2014-06-08 NJPW-BOSJ: Night Eight] Ricochet vs KUSHIDA