Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-07-AJPW-Summer Action Series] Stan Hansen vs Kenta Kobashi

Superstar Sleeze

Stan Hansen vs Kenta Kobashi - AJPW 7/7/90

I believe the first singles match between these two epic rivals (please correct me if I am wrong). I found the clipped version but I am only missing 3 minutes of 12 minute match from the beginning so I feel I can still say with confidence that these were awesome from the beginning!

Absolutely claustrophobic! 95% of the match it spent within punching or kicking distance. No bullshit rope running or Irish Whips. This was a fight. Kobashi as a Young Lion came in with a simple strategy rip off Hansen's Western Lariat arm and take it home with him. Easier said then done, but watch how many times from his back Kobashi grabs that arm. Hansen had just rocked him with a sudden suplex throw and Hansen was crawling over to attack and Kobashi reached back and grabbed wrist control. Hansen is jumping on him at one point and I think goes for a pin and in that one second of lost concentration, Kobashi comes up with a double wristlock. Kobashi was the definition of a scrappy fighter. Either Hansen loved Kobashi or Baba loved Kobashi so much he made Hansen love Kobashi, but either way this is one of those rare Hansen generosity performances. Dont get me wrong he is still Stan Hansen. He is stiff as fuck. He is sudden. He does not let up. However, he took the time to sell the arm, howling for Kobashi and he let Kobashi work the arm psychology. He worked the line perfectly. I liked when Kobashi did have Hansen rocked and in a prone position thats when the doubled up leg drops come. Thats when it makes sense. Hansen is a beast. He definitely has to double up but he is patient and he finds the right time. This eventually costs him in a little bit. He comes charging at Hansen, but this time Hansen is on his feet. Hansen dodges and uses Kobashi's momentum to drive him to the mat. Hansen signals and NAILS THE LARIAOTOOOOOO! 1-2-3!

Beautiful pro wrestling. Everything is sound. The characters are well-developed. The strategies make sense. The timing is excellent. This is a portent of things to come. I really liked this. ****

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1990-07-07-AJPW-Summer Action Series] Stan Hansen vs Kenta Kobashi