Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-06-18-NJPW-Dominion] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hirooki Goto

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hirooki Goto - NJPW 6/18/11

I have seen their 2007 match and I think that’s when I realized Tanahashi was something special and not just a fluke after I saw his April 2007 classic against Nagata. Goto is someone who I think is solid but lack personality. He is a less cool Choshu or Sasaki.

The beginning is just basic stuff. Goto is trying pummel Tanahashi with kicks and lariats some really good ones at that. The spin wheel kick on the railing was my favorite. While Tanahashi works the leg and hits his usual stock moves like the Somersault Senton. The match gets interesting in response to Tanahashi’s second wave of knee attacks. Goto just starts dropping him on his head. Backdrop drivers, super Reverse Suplex, Sunset Flip Powerbomb. Goto was going try to KO Tanahashi. It worked to se degree. Tanahashi hits his Capture Suplex but can’t hold it due to hitting the back of his own head on the move. He goes for a Dragon Screw Leg whip but again the force of hitting his head on the mat hurts him. He tries for quick pins like the Small Package or Backslide but on a modified Victory Roll Goto sits down on it and driving Tanahashi head into the mat. Goto gets a couple big nearfalls at this point such as the FU onto his knee which I normally hate but makes so much sense here so I love it. I’m disappointed by the finish. Tanahashi Just Powers up and hits two Dragon Suplexes but he does not bridge on either, then two High Fly Flows to win. I would have liked to see Goto make a mistake OR Tanahashi earn it a little more.

Still this was great work plus the interesting wrinkle of Tanahashi selling the head made this more dramatic and thus didn’t feel like a routine Tanahashi IWGP title defense. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2011-06-18-NJPW-Dominion] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hirooki Goto