Pro Wrestling Only

[2020-03-20-DDT-Judgement 2020] Masato Tanaka vs Konosuke Takeshita

Tenese Sarwieh

A great strong style battle with both men going all out. It started off going back and forth until Tanaka made his focus on Takeshita's right leg. This was vicious limb work escalating in Tanaka using the Sliding D with Takeshita's leg tied to the ropes, excellent spot. I know some had issues with the comeback with Takeshita not selling the leg enough but I'll chalk that up to the old classic line of "he's running on adrenaline". The finish was something with Tanaka hitting a Sliding D out of nowhere for the win, it's currently my move of the year. It's amazing that after all these years and all the punishment he has taken over the years Masato Tanaka at 47 is not only having a great 2020 but is still putting out quality performances. Konosuke Takeshita came out with the loss looking tough standing toe to toe with a respected puro veteran giving his all and battling back. Please find a way to watch this.

• 3 weeks later...

This looked to be the best title match in the Tanaka run. However, it let itself down when the match got all mindless with an extended no-sell exchange. Tanaka targeted the leg of Takeshita in the early going, trapping his leg against the post and smacking it multiple times with a chair. Tanaka hit a dragon screw and then a Sliding D right to the knee that could've easily dislocated the knee joint. Takeshita being unable to move quick enough the table Tanaka put him on before hitting a splash was a great touch. Tanaka using a piece of the broken table ruled as well. The second half of the match had heavy emphasis on big impact moves but both kept on no selling them, including Tanaka's Sliding Ds. It left me slightly cold for a good while, until Takeshita began throwing some meaty punches with Tanaka replying with elbows. The finishing rolling elbow hit right on the button for a great finish. ***1/4