Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-09-19-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Lex Luger vs Barry Windham

Superstar Sleeze

NWA US Champion Lex Luger vs Barry Windham - NWA World Championship Wrestling 9/19/87

You can see how influence Lex Luger is by Ric Flair in both his working style and post-match promo. The babyface shine is all about him getting shown up. He is powdering constantly. He is getting thwarted constantly. He is making BW look like a million bucks. Luger tries to cheat, Windham overcomes. Luger tries to wrestle, Windham sends him on his ass packing. The Windham punch that has Luger scurrying was great. Both men are playing their roles so well. Windham misses a dropkick and Luger rolls Snake Eyes. We head to an ad break. I was disappointed Luger didnt get more of a heat segment. Bearhug and I really liked Barry's counter, a belly to belly suplex. The finish stretch is great. Windham has to EARN that suplex. We get the lariat and a big missile dropkick for the false finish where JJ intervenes. Windham coldcocks JJ to a HUGE pop. Here comes The Enforcer. He trips Windham and Luger hits a standing elbow drop and we are supposed buy that as a nearfall. Gimme a break. Horsemen beatdown. Luger hoists him up in the Torture Rack. Someone needs to bring that back. I love that move. Windham wins by DQ and the fans pop for that. Ahhhhhh the 1980s, a simpler time. Luger's promo is so Flair but he keeps stumbling over himself it's funny. I liked the work but it felt abridged these two have a great match in them, but I am not sure we ever get it. ***1/4