Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-24-AJPW-Excite Series] Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs The Patriot & The Eagle

Superstar Sleeze

Holy Demon Army vs The Patriot & The Eagle - AJPW 2/24/94

I have always been interested in All Japan's midcard especially wrestlers like Patriot & Eagle (Jackie Fulton, Bobby's shoot brother). They just seem so different. I always thought the Patriot has a cool mask, like one of my favorite actually, Eagle's mask is good too. Patriot is a big dude. I am surprised it took Vince until 1997 to hire this guy. He looks perfect for WWF. Great dropkick too (good height and power), athletic, powerful. I thought he was expressive even under the hood. Eagle definitely had some brother in him. After the double dropkick, that was definitely a Bobby Fulton like celebration. All Japan was such a hoss-friendly promotion at this time, it is not too surprising that Patriot was fine there. I was surprised how equitable the match was. Holy Demon Army did not really kick the shit out of them. It was pretty 50/50. We get Taue doing his Snake Eyes and Kawada with the Single Leg Crab step on the head. Neither guy really stiffed the gaijin. The best part of the match was Patriot's hot tag. It seemed to wake up Taue who started to get heated and fight back. I thought it was interesting they still an All Japan style finish run even in a midcard match like this. You had big nearfalls where partners were saving. Kawada took a German from Eagle. Eagle did a Missile Dropkick into a Full Nelson Slam by Patriot, is that Uncle Slam? Which I think is my favorite punny move name. Kawada/Taue get back on offense. Kawada hits a powerbomb save by Patriot and then a modified Stretch Plum gets the submission. I guess thats the biggest difference is that submission actually got a win. A main eventer would never submit. Kawada & Taue were on cruise control. Patriot looked really good and Eagle was servicable. If someone told me that Patriot & Eagle had a lost classic, I'd believe they are capable. Whether they got the opportunity and hit a home run is a different story. Unfortunately since most of the focus of All Japan is on the Four Corners and Hansen, Doc & Gordy, there is not much footage of Patriot & Eagle, but this was fine. If you have not gotten the chance I recommend the Del Wilkes (The Patriot) appearance on the Steve Austin show. It is amazing how strung out on painkillers he was at this time. Worth it for the novelty of seeing Patriot & Eagle, but it is just a good match. *** 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1994-02-24-AJPW-Excite Series] Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs The Patriot & The Eagle