Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-14-WCW-Sin] Bill Goldberg & DeWayne Bruce vs Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell (No DQ)

GSR

The Goldberg streak stipulation remains in effect for this match, meaning if Team Goldberg loses, regardless of which man is either pinned or submits, Goldberg will be gone from WCW.  I know I would not be risking my career in a tag team match with Sarge, a man who has probably won half a dozen televised matches at most over the past decade.  ‘Totally Buff’ are hesitant to enter the ring when they see Goldberg is starting for his team.  Scott Hudson wonders whether, with Sarge’s broken arm, he’ll just work the match on his own, thinking that may be the best strategy for him.  A huge flying shoulderblock flattens the ‘Total Package’.  Double underhook suplex as he launches Luger with ease.  Bagwell fares no better, Goldberg no selling his suplex before this awesome overhead press dropped into a powerslam.  Well he’s not taking all the match, tagging in Sarge who goes about browbeating Buff.  Sarge walks the middle rope like he’s Gran Naniwa, dropping an elbow to the prone Bagwell for a two count.  Buff stops his momentum with a jawbreaker and then spits at Goldberg to draw him into the ring, which allows Luger to clothesline Sarge across the top rope behind the referee’s back.  Tony Schiavone reminds everyone that this is “No DQ” which is why Sarge was able to use his cast as a weapon.  Poor timing on his part; reminding us right as they’re doing distraction spots which shouldn’t be necessary when disqualifications have been taken out of the equation.  Goldberg breaks up a couple of pin attempts, clearly fully aware of Sarge’s won/loss record.  Sarge blocks the suplex and counters with one of his own.  That gets a big pop.  Hot tag and Goldberg has his destiny in his own hands again.  Release overhead pumphandle on Buff.  Luger is out at ringside and grabs a “fan” in the front row who’s wearing a Goldberg T-shirt.  Goldberg jumps out the ring to pull ‘the Package’ away from him, but as he checks on the “fan”, the “fan” maces him in the face.  This was really badly disguised and it was obvious the guy was a plant the way the cameras were focusing on what was going on out there.  Security does go after the “fan”, although Lex drags them off him and he remains at ringside for the rest of the match.  Goldberg is swinging wildly, unable to see, and gets cracked over the head with a chair.  Luger lifts him up onto his shoulders, Buff comes off the top with a super blockbuster and a hush comes over the arena as Goldberg is put down for the three.  The crowd are deflated by what they’ve just seen, clearly not expecting that to be the end result, while Hudson and Schiavone talk in sombre tones about Goldberg’s career being over.  Sarge helps him to the back as he gets a big hand from those in attendance.

The finish made this end on a downer while it may have killed the crowd too.  I generally have little time for ‘Totally Buff’ but was enjoying this until the rubbish with the “fan”.  This was Goldberg’s final match in WCW so I wonder how they were planning on getting around the stipulation a few months from now, should the company not have died, when it was time to bring him back?

• 3 weeks later...

Nice knowing you Goldberg and a sad way to go out. The match actually has decent enough energy considering totally buff is totally cooked as a team. Bruce also of course doesnt add much to the proceedings overall. I am interested in seeing how they would have weaves Goldberg back but I will have to wait two years before I see him again. *1/2 

• 1 month later...

This was fun!  They kept it simple and basic and plugged in Sarge just well enough to get by...and it's simple until the fan swerve at least.  Maybe I'm in a good mood but it was at least creative and kind of made for a dramatic final few minutes.  Buff and Lex also were good stooge heels here for the most part so I consider this a win.