Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-20-OVW-TV] Suicide Blondes (Derrick King & Jason Lee) vs Brian Keck & Randy Orton

GSR

I’ve never seen Brian ‘No Neck’ Keck before, but remember Meltzer writing about him.  Nothing overly positive I’m afraid, just someone with strong amateur credentials that tried his hand in the pro ranks but never went anywhere.  Sadly he passed away last year at the age of just 48.  Cornette and Dean Hill are joined in the commentary booth by Phil Fair as they go over the upcoming six-man tag match at Christmas Chaos and the various stipulations involved, the action in the ring playing second fiddle to all this.  Nice overhead double arm suplex by Randy.  There’s a really ugly miscommunication in there involving him and the Blondes where I have no idea what happens.  Orton hiptosses Lee over the top rope, which should’ve been a disqualification, but isn’t called by referee Donna Derring.  Corny covers for her, saying that the rookie ref deemed it unintentional so let it go.  Lee telegraphs the backdrop and Orton with a sit-out powerbomb.  Tag to Keck who runs through the Blondes with some clotheslines. Bushwhackers style battering ram.  The Blondes reverse the double Irish whip sending Orton and Keck colliding into each other.  With Orton dispatched out of there, a King facebuster on Keck followed by a Lee springboard elbow gives them the win.  Post-match Sean Casey and Chris Michaels go after the Blondes, things fairly even until Fair’s timely low blow swings the fight in his team’s direction.  He pulls out some hair clippers but before they’re able to shave King’s head Lee clears the ring with the aid of a metal chair.

• 4 weeks later...

Keck looks generic as all hell. Cornette is setting up Christmas Chaos and a kiss my ass match involving the Blondes. Dumb angle there. King and Orton are in the ring now and they have potentially good chemistry together. Orton whiffs on a dropkick from Lee and Orton awkwardly sends him to the outside with a hiptoss. Donna Daring is the referee and she is terrible in the role. All of my original OVW goodwill seems to be just a blip on the radar as we are back to the screaming Jim Cornette. Orton uses Keck’s head as a battering ram like he is a Bushwhacker. We do get a clean finish for once as the Blondes take this one pinning Keck before Rick Michaels and Sean Casey come in to have a brawl. They give King a haircut but Lee saves him. ¾*