Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-25-WWF-Smackdown] The Undertaker vs Rikishi

GSR

Was anyone really clamouring to see this match up again?   Taker meets Rikishi on the rampway as the two don’t waste any time in getting going.  In typical dominant style he beats him around ringside before throwing him inside, the bell ringing to get this officially underway.  On Raw, Rikishi had challenged Taker to a No Holds Barred match, however later reneged after the challenge was accepted.  Old school rope walk.  Rikishi reverses the Irish whip and dumps Taker with a Samoan drop.  It’s not long before he starts his comeback, although Rikishi does pick up a two count following a belly to belly. Haku starts slowly walking out towards the ring and when Taker DDT’s Rikishi, jumps inside and attacks him for the DQ.  He beats him down in the corner as it appears Haku and Rikishi have formed an alliance.  Double headbutt.  Rikishi drops his full weight on Taker’s chest while at the same Haku with a couple of falling headbutts.  Kane makes the save and the ‘Brothers of Destruction’ send the two Islanders packing.

Even in hindsight the Haku signing is mystifying.  Was it anything more than Vince getting his own back on WCW for the Alundra Blayze situation?  It’s not even like he was taking their U.S. champion, but the title holder of the least important belt in the company. I suppose In that respect though the equivalent of the Blayze belt.  I bet Haku couldn’t believe his luck though, going from wrestling Bam Bam Bigelow in a nothing match on Thunder to a week later feuding with the Undertaker at the top of the card in the WWF.  A nothing match.

• 1 month later...

These two start out SmackDown and it seems like they have been feuding for years now. Rikishi did eliminate Taker from the Rumble so I guess there is a legit gripe there. Quick enough match with Rikishi looking more even than in the first part of the year. As soon as Taker seems to take the advantage, out comes Haku. Haku and Rikishi beat down Taker a bit until Kane makes the fiery save. As a bridge feud heading into Mania, I am not bothered by this feud and the Brothers reuniting was cool to see. *1/2