Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-11-16-ROH-Scramble Madness] American Dragon vs Doug Williams

A 30-Minute Iron Man match, and it's a really good, borderline great one. The first third or so is all about some good ol' scientific, technical wrestling w/ neither really establishing control over one another. It unsurprisingly of course rules since it's these two. Eventually Dragon starts getting a bit more mean w/ his work, and he starts sneakily doing some work over Williams' neck. It pays off big when he gets the first (& only) fall of the match to his name by delivering a couple of vicious Dragon Suplexes. That happened at around the 18-minute mark (shout-out to Gabe for informing us about that), and after that, the urgency keeps on rising & rising. Williams knows he is losing, and the clock is ticking, so he starts wrestling with bigger urgency than earlier in the match, and it's really good stuff. The little drama revolving around his big finish in the Chaos Theory rules w/ Dragon kicking out of one, and then surviving from the 2nd one with that rope-break. Awesome match -- the 30-minutes flew by, the wrestling was compelling throughout. I'd put it a notch above their also-awesome Road to the Title meeting. ***3/4

• 1 year later...

These guys match up really well. This is pretty much everything you'd want and expect from Doug Williams vs. Brian Danielson. It was interesting that they had Danielson survive by the skin of his teeth with the one fall instead of letting Williams get a pinfall or submission. I would have thought 2-1 would have been a fairer reflection of the match up and both guy's ability, but they went in a different direction and executed it well. They seemed to be driving at a rematch somewhere down the line, so perhaps that was the goal they had in mind. These Danielson matches are new for me. I'm not a Danielson guy and have never been on the bandwagon. The guy is clearly talented and works a style that I should, in theory, like, but in 2002 I don't think he was head and shoulders above his contemporaries. He seemed on par with most of them. I guess he overtakes them with his heel run, but there's still a lot of wrestling to go before the matches I'm familiar with. I'm curious to see what 2003 brings for him.