Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-12-07-ROH-Night of the Butcher] American Dragon vs Chad Collyer

The first third is them just going hold-for-hold in charming fashion, wrestling over the control. After a while of that, Collyer sees that Dragon clutches his knee after a bad landing on a suplex, and then it's a full-on attack on that knee. Collyer's work over it is fantastic; he really comes off as a calm, cool, collected, laser focused ice-cold killer -- an ICEMAN if you will. Dragon sells the knee & being in trouble pretty damn fantastically, and him fighting out of Collyer's firm control created for some great moments. I'd say one of my favorite things about this whole thing was the contrast in the two characters that were American Dragon & Chad Collyer -- they're pretty similar with their wrestling, but they are also very different with how they react & answer to stuff happening. Truly a great, charming encounter. Would call it somewhat of a gem too, seeing as nobody ever really talks about it. ****

• 1 year later...

This was a good match. I admire the way Danielson has been trying to wrestle in 2002. This kind of felt like Danielson wrestling a Dean Malenko, which would have been a totally fine match in '02. Danielson hasn't put it all together yet, but if you want to see some mat wrestling in 2002 then he's your ticket.