Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-09-20-ECW-As Good As It Gets] Bam Bam Bigelow vs Spike Dudley

Bam Bam Bigelow vs Spike Dudley - ECW As Good As It Gets

A big step down from their Hardcore Heaven match. There are two blown spots. One is a normal whiff on a dropkick that sends Bigelow over the top rope and knee first through a table that looked painful. Anyways I can understand a whiff. But the earlier one is bizarre. Spike takes the Bret Bump hard into the buckles and ricochets back. Bam Bam just takes a front bump for no reason clutching his head. It was pretty bad. The layout was off too. ECW Arena was MOLTEN for this match. We are taking nuclear heat. They wanted a replica of Hardcore Heaven and they wanted Spike launched into the crowd. "Over here" chants and a very funny "We Want Spike" chant. When Spike made his comeback, the fans were not too happy and were chanting for Bam Bam because they wanted the crowd throw so bad. They should have done the crowd throw early and then done the Spike comeback, crowd would have been more into it and less preoccupied with the fact that the crowd throw may not happen. The crowd throw is the more famous of the two as it would go into the opening video package. I can still hear Paul E. shouting the "lewdest and crudest" as this clipped played as an advertisements for ECW in Waltham, MA during Nitro. I remember a lot of ECW ads during Nitro. It always included this crowd throw. They do the body surfing which was cute, but undercut the brutality from Hardcore Heaven. Big splash ends it. This was fine, but not as cool as the Hardcore Heaven. Though the childhood nostalgia factor is much higher for me on this one. 

• GSR changed the title to [1997-09-20-ECW-As Good As It Gets] Bam Bam Bigelow vs Spike Dudley