Pro Wrestling Only

Squared Circle Gazette Radio #158 - The WWF in 1990 Part 3

SCG Radio returns this week for the third and final part of our look at the WWF in 1990! Breaking down all the big stories after Summerslam, we talk about the fates of Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior for the rest of the year, the introduction of the Undertaker, an analysis of Sgt. Slaughter at this time with and without the Iraqi overtones, Vince McMahon announces the WBF and pulls a big stunt at Mr. Olympia, some key departures and interesting signings, Dusty Rhodes approaching the end of his in-ring career, everything that did and didn't work and the effect it had on the big picture, as well as all the facts and figures of the period as we move into 1991...and the Ultimate Irony is revealed. Listen, enjoy, and let us know what you've thought of this mini-series!

https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/xs23ue/SCGRadio158-TheWWFIn1990Part36kyif.mp3

Absolutely. This series was an absolute blast.

Excellent analysis of the Perfect/Hogan program. I don't know that I'd ever thought much about their match structure while working together, but it makes total sense that things would appear "off." Hulk built his bank on selling, and Perfect was a smaller pinball. Good stuff.

But the rebooking of the SummerSlam card was a real highlight as well. Love the idea of turning Jake heel against Hogan. I tend to agree that the fan backlash wouldn't be there by 90, because they'd already been allowed to cheer and experience babyface Jake. The groundswell wasn't there like it would've been in the infamous, fabled DDT angle we hear about.

I would love something similar soon. The Monday Night War shows are fun, but this was just on another level for me.