Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-03-07-WCW-Thunder] Rick Steiner vs Hugh Morrus

GSR

Set up as a result of what took place earlier in the show where Rick tried to jump DDP from behind, but Hugh Morrus was watching Page’s back and got to ‘the DFG’ before he could get any licks in.  To say I’m not looking forward to this one would be putting it mildly!  This hasn’t even started and Steiner is stalling on the outside.   When he does eventually get into the ring he uses referee Scott Armstrong as a shield.  He shoves him into Hugh, kicking Morrus between the legs in the kerfuffle.  Rear chinlock.  Yawn.  Hugh escapes with a jawbreaker but Steiner puts the stop to any potential fightback with one punch.  Steiner seems to be going after the knee, unlike with the American Dragon where it was a joy to watch him target Low Ki’s leg in the Super 8 Final, this is anything of the sort.  My god, this is so dull.  Decent selling of the leg at least from Hugh.  Steiner leaves the ring to get in the face of some ringside fans.  He returns to...another rear chinlock.  Apparently no-one has a bigger heart than the inspirational leader of the locker room!  I take everything back about Morrus’ selling of the leg,  he’s blown it all off in his comeback.  As if things couldn’t get any worse we have a run in.  Lance Storm is on the apron although is stopped from interfering by Armstrong.  It was all part of the plan as from the other side of the building comes Mike Awesome who clocks Hugh as he’s climbing the turnbuckles for a moonsault.  Steiner Driver and this one’s over.  Like on Monday, Konnan comes to Hugh’s  rescue saving from the post-match Team Canada attack.

A Worse Match of the Year contender.