Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-08-05-Lucha Underground] Prince Puma vs Mil Muertes

Superstar Sleeze

LU Champion Prince Puma vs Mil Muertes - Lucha Underground 8/5/15

The Season 1 Finale of Lucha Underground pits the Champion Prince Puma aka Ricochet who has fended off all challengers thus far against the Horror Movie Monster Mil Muertes aka El Mesias. You may be wondering what happened to our friend Mil after being stuffed inside the Coffin at Grave Consequences against Fenix. Wiki and the like is a little sketchy but basically Catrina said "Psyche!" to Fenix, resurrected Mil Muertes and added more ghouls and goblins to her stable. As a fan of traditional soap operas, the thought of resurrection ala Helena Cassadine bringing Stavros Cassadine back to life pops me huge, but I would have rather Catrina not turned babyface first and then had no good reason to turn heel. Fenix beating Muertes in the Casket Match here being pissed and then plotting revenge by resurrecting him would have been badass. From what I have seen Prince Puma vs Muertes or Pentagon Jr were there two best bets for a money match at the end of the season. I hope there was at least one lengthy Ricochet vs Pentagon Jr match out there. 

"Beyond the Grave" is a great hometown, I love the Aztec get up that Muertes is in. Catrina looks smokin' hot and definitely should be picked up by WWE or AEW if she is interested in being in wrestling still. Did some research I had not idea she was in WWE?!? This explains why she is jacked, she was a pro wrestler. She was Maxine? Never heard of her and I dont remember her at all. No Konnan with Puma, apparently the first match without Konnan they are making a big deal out of it.

Puma throws some rights which seems like a bad idea as Muertes goes all Demolition Ax and clubbers him down. Puma gets back to speed and evasion. Back Handspring Rana and then dropkick, no sell by Muertes smart. I really liked the choke/pieface over the top rope by Muertes. Really puts over the power advantage of Muertes.  Muertes kicks ass on the outside and some crowd brawling. I like that Puma is trying to kick ass in this brawl by trying to throw punches. It shows a willingness to fight. He cleans Muertes clock with a punch and sends him into the crowd. Rams him into the wooden bleachers. I like that Puma is brawling. It like the 80s when the pretty boy babyface has to prove his mettle by being just as violent as the monster heel. 

Fun spot where Puma uses Catrina to beat Muertes silly very cool. They dont really sell it which is a bummer. Muertes throws him into wooden chairs ala Michinoku Pro. I thought that was too easy of a transition. Puma uses the apron as a springboard to hit a cool kick to the head. Similar to Fenix, I think Puma needs to go head-hunting. Just keeping targeting that head. Puma tries to set up a table, but that is dumb. He needed to suffocate the powerful, strong Muertes while he had a chance. Muertes POWERBOMBS Puma on the Wooden Stairs! Hell Yeah! Great sell by Puma! I think Muertes has finally consolidated control. Spoke too soon. Muertes was getting a chair and Puma at the last second dropkicked it into him. Good capitalization on the mistake. Puma is thinking like Fenix to follow up with a dive. MUERTES HOME RUN SHOT WITH A CHAIR SHOT AS PUMA DIVES THROUGH THE ROPES! Touch em all, Mil!

Puma going back to hope spots here was weird. Knees and landing on his feet with a double stomp. I love people staying alive and always fighting back. I think Puma as going to the hope spots too quick and too often. He was not selling these BIG SHOTS by Muertes and was really undercutting the drama. 

Muertes charges into the steel chair and then Puma finishes with his Fireman Carry Pele Kick. 1-2-NO! That would have a great nearfall if Muertes had really beat Puma down. I dont think they really built to it properly. Muertes evades the 630 and snap powerslam puts thing back into the hands of the Man of a Thousand Deaths. Incredible Pele Kick from Puma which again looked amazing, but I question the timing. Northern Lights Suplex, float over and then vertical suplex. I question doing that on a horror movie villain. These are great spots, but they need an editor. If you rearrange these spots and add a strong heat segment, this could be great! Big right punch to the head by Muertes, but Puma kicks him in the head. Muertes hits the Big E style spear on Puma through a table on the floor. I love that Muertes THREW PUMA THE FUCK DOWN THROUGH THE REST OF THE TABLE! AWESOME! Best spots of the match and a strong nearfall for Muertes. 

Big Spinning Chokeslam by Mil. Puma evades a spear and then Black Mass kick and Roundhouse Kick. Fenix strategy big kicks to the head to set up the 630! The announcers and fans do a great job building the heat to the 630 and he nailed it. 1-2-no! The crowd loved it! Puma does the only thing he can do. He went for it again. Puma absolutely ate it on his ass. SPEAR BY MUERTES! STRAIGHT TO HELL BY MUERTES! 1-2-NO! Ok, I get it you got to give your babyface champion a little love. Muertes is incredulous. 

Puma kicks him into the head a bunch. Puma is looking top rope, but Muertes punches him in the face. TOP ROPE STRAIGHT TO HELL BY MIL MUERTES! Catrina Lick of Death, definitely not sanitary.

Loved the spots and liked Puma did get a lot of offense as their hotshot ace babyface he needed to look strong, but I thought he looked a little too strong on time and also didnt respect Muertes' size and power advantage. Puma treated him like any other opponent. I think by rearranging some of the spots and really building to the 630 properly this could have been great. I think this falls far below Grave Consequences, but still fun. ***

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2015-08-05-Lucha Underground] Prince Puma vs Mil Muertes