Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-05-31-Impact Wrestling] Pentagon Jr vs Austin Aries

Superstar Sleeze

Impact World Heavyweight Champion Pentagon Jr vs Austin Aries - Impact 5/31/18

It has been an exhausting week between Eddie Van Halen's passing and work kicking my ass. I dont have much in the tank. I just wanted to watch some wrestling before bed and I enjoyed this a good bit. Aries is also the Grand Champion which some secondary title that has weird Round-System rules that maybe could work, I dont know. Anyways, Aries ends up unifying the titles. It is a Pentagon match so there's not exactly much in the way of deep psychology. I thought there were a lot of missed opportunities in the match between the chop to the steel post and Aries tying the mask to the ropes among others. I thought the Superkick transitions were ham-fisted more often than not. There was not much in the ways of meaningful momentum transfers, I put that mostly at the feet of Pentagon who is atrocious at match layout/narrative. I think the gimmick, costume, catchphrase and moves as cool as fuck, but someone needs to teach this dude psychology. Aries reigned Pentagon in better than most. Aries is one of the better 21st Century wrestlers in escalating his offense and rising to a crescendo. I LOVE his Suicide Dive, in a world of Candy Ass Suicide Dives I am looking at you, Jon Moxley, he fucking explodes like a torpedo into his version. That started the match off with a bang. There was a little he could when Pentagon would pepper in way too many hope spots while I thought he ramped up his offense well. The finish stretch was really well done. Each man seizes the advantage on the outside only for the match to end in a Double Countout and the first time Aries asks for a restart after the Last Chancery on the outside triggered the DCO. Then Pentagon hit a WICKED Package Piledriver on the apron and asked for a restart after that DCO. To that Aries tells the ref to ring the bell and as he looks the other way HE PUNTS HIM IN HE CAJONES AND BRAINBUSTERRRRRRR! FUCKING AWESOME FINISH!  

I thought the match was alright, but that FINISH WAS FUCKIN BITCHIN'! I am giving it a little extra love for that! ***3/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2018-05-31-Impact Wrestling] Pentagon Jr vs Austin Aries