Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-04-28 Impact-Rebellion] Rich Swann vs Sami Callihan (Hardcore Rules)

Superstar Sleeze

X-Division Champion Rich Swann vs Sami Callihan - Impact Rebellion 2019 Hardcore Match

Interesting that in all my viewings of TNA/Impact that not many X-Division matches have piqued my interest or been recommended to me, I think that shows how it had fallen to being a midcard title. This is a blood feud that goes back to Callihan taking Swann in after his personal tragedies. No dancing from Swann tonight. It is OVE rules match similar to a Ravens Rules or a Hardcore match. 

I thought this was the best Callihan match I have seen so far for two reasons: 1. Pacing was way better 2. They had a really clear story that was woven throughout the match. They start off with meaningless kicks to the face lets forget that happened. In fairness, they have been showing symmetry or similarities but there are a lot better ways to achieve that without their silly kick each other in the face. The real story kicks in. Swann has brought a Staple Gun to the party. That's the story of the match, Rich Swann was willing to go to the levels of violence of Callihan and beat Callihan at his own game. The Staple Gun was one example. He was able to wield weapons like a chair and garbage can against Callihan. He turned the Legos against Callihan. The ultimate moment was when he did the Calligan lugi, testicular claw and then used a Barbed Wire Baseball Bat Crossface to win the match. The lugi and the Testicular Claw are staples of the Callihan offense and were both used earlier in the match. I loved how Swann gave Callihan a taste of his own medicine. The match actually followed a pretty standard shine-heat-comeback-finish. So the structure helped tell the story they wanted. One thing I do love about Callihan is that he is not uber serious which you kinda expect him to be given his demeanor and style. He is willing to ham it up and show ass and be a coward so I appreciate that. Swann has a really nice punch. The Callihan suplex of Swann onto that standing chair was insane and the coolest spot of the match. Swann hit his Back Handspring Cutter on the ramp and Callihan followed up with a Piledriver on the railing after a groin claw. I think they flirted with Swann dying but they always pulled out right at the last second. The Cactus Piledriver on the apron was another moment where they almost went too far but they had Swann reverse the next move which was smart. I cant say Im huge into the Legos spot. I feel like Callihan being all covered up it is a little bit of a cop out. Again we got Swann getting piledriven into the Legos. That moment just came back to me. Three piledrivers are really hard environments is a bit much for me. It shows that Swann was resilient and beat Callihan on Callihan's terms at Callihan's game.  The story of Swann outdoing Callihan in a hardcore match buoy this up and makes Callihan's best, but there are still aspects of Callihan's work that doesnt fully click with me. ****

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2019-04-28 Impact-Rebellion] Rich Swann vs Sami Callihan (Hardcore Rules)