Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-07-01-TNA-Impact] The Wolves vs Bobby Roode & Austin Aries (30 Minute Iron Man)

Superstar Sleeze

TNA World Tag Team Champions Bobby Roode & Austin Aries vs The Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) - TNA Impact 7/1/15 30 minute Ironman

First 15 minutes: No Falls to start. All the action is tight and good, but not really much happened. I cant even say oh they threw a ton of highspots. They just worked solid but not much was advanced in terms of the plot. I liked all the arm wringers. Roode stood out to me as the best verbal seller of the bunch and exhibiting the most struggle. Good stuff selling the arm wringer and an Indian Deathlock. I liked all the eyepokes and eyerakes by the Dirty Heels. The shine was not super strong but it was there. Aries deep, deep eyerake gets the transition to the heat segment. The heat segment was solid working over Edwards' leg. I liked the old school ref distraction and fake tags by the Heels, but it all just felt solid. It didnt move me. Writing this helped me realize what this reminds me of. It reminds me of the Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs. It is well-worked, lots of action, but it doesnt move me emotionally. Davey gets the tag, not quite as explosive as a Davey Boy Smith hot tag with big dropkick but a pretty good hot tag. The Diving Headbutt into Roode as he sits up in a Tree Of Woe was fucking stupid. He kicks out. The Heels knock the Wolves off the top ropes and we go to commercial at the 13 minute mark, 17 minutes to go, it is 0-0. 

Last 15 minutes: We lose 5 minutes of this for commercials. I will admit I was confused. I thought The Wolves were Champions so I got really confused by the ending. It goes to show how bad the Matthews/Pope commentary team was. They do ratchet up the big bombs. Lots of big nearfalls. I really liked the Heels Missile Dropkick/Powerbomb combo. Edwards hits an overcomplicated running Stunner. There is a great German Suplex pinfall. They hit a double top rope double stomp. Lots of good jackknife covers. All kicks out. The Last Chancery had good heat because they were doing the whole All Japan Roode detains Richards, but Richards breaks free and breaks it up. The first fall does go to the heels. Aries hits his trademark running dropkick and Roode spinebuster, 450 splash. That was a great sequence. I thought at this point the Wolves just needed one fall to force the draw and retain. I didnt realize they needed two falls. Aries explodes into his Suicide Dive. I dont know what happened to Roode, but The Wolves hit a Powerbomb/Lungblower to knot it up. I was confused why the Wolves were still pressing. The last fall sucks. Roode hoists him up in a Firemans Carry Edwards crawls down and rolls him up for the win. Lame finish. 

The highspots got bigger but it still didnt do much for me. This Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs for a modern audience for some that works for me, I think it is good, but not great. ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2015-07-01-TNA-Impact] The Wolves vs Bobby Roode & Austin Aries (30 Minute Iron Man)